The resource DLL can not be loaded

Anonymous
2019-03-07T22:02:39+00:00

Every time I try opening Microsoft Word, it gives me the error "The resource DLL can not be loaded". I called Microsoft customer service and all they told me was that they can only help if I bought the microsoft office product, but I spent over a $1000 on this Microsoft surface pro. But anyway, Is there any way to fix this without uninstalling it?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-03-09T18:13:01+00:00

Every time I try opening Microsoft Word, it gives me the error "The resource DLL can not be loaded". I called Microsoft customer service and all they told me was that they can only help if I bought the microsoft office product, but I spent over a 1000 dollars on this Microsoft surface pro. But anyway, Is there any way to fix this without uninstalling it?

I fixed my issue.

  1. Windows Key + R.
  2. Type "winword /safe".
  3. Press Enter.
  4. Check and make sure no error dialog appears.
  5. Go to File > Options > Add-In.
  6. At the very bottom of the settings page, there's a dropdown menu. Select "COM Add-ins".
  7. Press Go... button.
  8. Find any Add-ins that were enabled, and untick the checkmarks next to them.
  9. Press OK.
  10. Close Word 2016.
  11. Reopen Word 2016 normally.
  12. Verify if the error popup did not show up.

And that's it for me. This is the COM Add-in that showed the error upon startup. It's in Japanese. The highlighted COM Add-in is the only one that was enabled before I disable it to fix my issue.

Many thanks to Jake A. from Microsoft Help Online Support Chat for resolving this issue.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-03-09T06:17:07+00:00

    yup having the same problem please fix its irritating and it triggers my ocd

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-03-09T04:12:23+00:00

    Oh wow, so it's just not me.

    Note, that only Office Word would display the dialog shown here:

    I'm thinking there was something that happened in the past few days. I can comfortably confirm this did not happen 3 days ago because I have a timestamped Word document I'm publishing on GitHub, and it has my last edited file at that time.

    So something must've happened within the past 3 days (since Tuesday, March 5, 2019).

    EDIT: Also, just to add this information. I reinstalled Office 2016, and registered the license. Still no dice, and I still get this error message prompt. Repairing the Office installation is also moot at this point.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-03-09T04:03:40+00:00

    I have the same problem too!

    I even activated my MS Office with a Professional license.

    It's becoming a ton of waste!

    And it was working fine a month ago, too.

    Some update is to blame I guess.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-03-07T22:40:23+00:00

    Dear Sally,

    I am an independent advisor, and I am trying to help other users in Community with my experience in Microsoft products.

    If you are getting this "Error: The application can't start because AppVIsvSubsystems32.dll is missing from your computer" and you have Office installed, please use this guide https://support.office.com/en-us/article/error-...

    If you were only using preinstalled Office on your Surface, then probably 30 day trial expired. What you can do is get another trial for Office 365 for your Microsoft Account https://products.office.com/en-gb/try or use Office online https://support.office.com/en-us/article/using-... which is free

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments