Windows Update 2019-08 Cumulative Update has broken VBA code use case

Anonymous
2019-08-14T10:33:56+00:00

An issue with VBA code has started to be seen by some of my users and also by me this morning. I have tracked it down to have been caused by the latest 2019-08 Cumulative Update (e.g. KB4511553) and it is affecting all combinations of Windows and Office that I have seen so far- from Windows Server 2008 to Windows 10 & Office 2003(!) to Office 2016. 

The test code below demonstrates the problem. The method "Test" executes with no errors before the 2019-08 cumulative update is installed (or after it is uninstalled). However, after the update, the scenario of passing an empty ParamArray parameter to another method as a Variant parameter causes an error to be thrown on the declaration line of the second method. (Error 5: Invalid procedure call or argument).

Sub Test()

    Test1 "A", "B"   'Works OK with and without Windows Update

    Test1            'Fails after Windows Update

End Sub

Sub Test1(ParamArray P() As Variant)

    Test2 P

End Sub

Sub Test2(ByVal P As Variant)    'Error occurs on this line

End Sub

This is causing errors in my Microsoft Access application, but I have also tried this code in Word 2016 and the same issue occurs there too.

Can somebody validate this, please? I'm not really sure what the correct way of reporting this problem is.

Thanks

Chris

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-08-16T20:16:12+00:00

    I'm grinning from ear to ear. I'm also doing what I can to help set the example for my colleagues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-08-16T23:35:11+00:00

    I just got a new update from our product team a few minutes ago:

    “The items on the Windows Release Information Dashboard have been updated”

    This means that for some Windows versions, the updates are already available.  If you check the dashboard for the specific Windows versions that interest you, you will learn if the fix is already available, or if it should be available in the coming days, or in “late August” for 19H1/1903.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-08-19T10:27:19+00:00

    Hi,

    I have this issue too.

    It seems the last update fixed it in Win10, if a use Win7 i still get the error.

    Eran

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-08-19T13:53:02+00:00

    For Windows 7, have you applied KB 4517297 yet?

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4517297/windows-7-update-kb4517297

    I find that the catalog URL in the above article points to the wrong KB, so try this

    http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4517297

    Scot

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-08-19T14:20:15+00:00

    Thanks,

    I applied the update 4517297, but still got the error.

    it seems like the first reference to procedure/function in the code cause the error

    "Compile error:

    Method or data member not found"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments