A family of Microsoft relational database management systems designed for ease of use.
Thanks for the rare update from inside the castle.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
An issue with VBA code has started to be seen by some of my users and also by me this morning. I have tracked it down to have been caused by the latest 2019-08 Cumulative Update (e.g. KB4511553) and it is affecting all combinations of Windows and Office that I have seen so far- from Windows Server 2008 to Windows 10 & Office 2003(!) to Office 2016.
The test code below demonstrates the problem. The method "Test" executes with no errors before the 2019-08 cumulative update is installed (or after it is uninstalled). However, after the update, the scenario of passing an empty ParamArray parameter to another method as a Variant parameter causes an error to be thrown on the declaration line of the second method. (Error 5: Invalid procedure call or argument).
Sub Test()
Test1 "A", "B" 'Works OK with and without Windows Update
Test1 'Fails after Windows Update
End Sub
Sub Test1(ParamArray P() As Variant)
Test2 P
End Sub
Sub Test2(ByVal P As Variant) 'Error occurs on this line
End Sub
This is causing errors in my Microsoft Access application, but I have also tried this code in Word 2016 and the same issue occurs there too.
Can somebody validate this, please? I'm not really sure what the correct way of reporting this problem is.
Thanks
Chris
A family of Microsoft relational database management systems designed for ease of use.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Thanks for the rare update from inside the castle.
You're welcome. I apologize for the historical behavior of "the castle" not communicating. We're trying to change that.
Well, since I've got the opportunity to talk to someone inside the moat, here are a couple more ideas to pass up the foodchain there:
For example, in the Feedback system (Feedback Hub and UserVoice sites) could you suggest making the acknowledgement more descriptive. "We've got it" doesn't convey anything useful.
UserVoice sites: implement some design standards. Those sites are totally wild west. For example, start by getting rid of the limit on the number of votes you can make.
Do userVoice feedback appear in the Feedback hub? They should. I've never tested.
OneNote Windows 10 / UWP: the single worst design decision MS has made since the ribbon and Clippy. How on earth could anyone sign off on forcibly replacing OneNote 2016/desktop with the UWP version. That move alone was incredibly rude. And, UWP is STILL missing so much key functionality how could MS claim it is a (dis)"improvement". Taking functionality away, with the promise to restore it "someday" is unacceptable. Forcing people to ONLY store notes in OneDrive is unacceptable for privacy reasons!
Create a section in the Feedback Hub tracking / reporting feedbacks that have actually been implemented. Too many people still feel that Feedback is a black hole, suggestions go in, but nothing comes out.
Categorizing feedbacks is too difficult. I always have a hard time figuring out which categories to use. I don't like it, but I don't know specifically how to make it better...
While I'm not directly connected to any of the teams that can respond to your suggestions and requests, I'm at least inside "the moat", so I 'll do what I can to find the people who can actually do something there. So that we don't spam this forum thread about issues not directly related to the original post, please contact me at my Microsoft "dot com" address.
I hope that those who read this reply will do me the respect of not abusing that.
I am a Sr. Escalation Engineer for Microsoft, and we are already working multiple support cases that have been opened for this issue. The update that was released yesterday contained a change in the oleaut32.dll that mitigates a specific security exploit.
Scot
I forgot to ask, what is the KB number for that update?