Windows Update 2019-08 Cumulative Update has broken VBA code use case

Anonymous
2019-08-14T10:33:56+00:00

An issue with VBA code has started to be seen by some of my users and also by me this morning. I have tracked it down to have been caused by the latest 2019-08 Cumulative Update (e.g. KB4511553) and it is affecting all combinations of Windows and Office that I have seen so far- from Windows Server 2008 to Windows 10 & Office 2003(!) to Office 2016. 

The test code below demonstrates the problem. The method "Test" executes with no errors before the 2019-08 cumulative update is installed (or after it is uninstalled). However, after the update, the scenario of passing an empty ParamArray parameter to another method as a Variant parameter causes an error to be thrown on the declaration line of the second method. (Error 5: Invalid procedure call or argument).

Sub Test()

    Test1 "A", "B"   'Works OK with and without Windows Update

    Test1            'Fails after Windows Update

End Sub

Sub Test1(ParamArray P() As Variant)

    Test2 P

End Sub

Sub Test2(ByVal P As Variant)    'Error occurs on this line

End Sub

This is causing errors in my Microsoft Access application, but I have also tried this code in Word 2016 and the same issue occurs there too.

Can somebody validate this, please? I'm not really sure what the correct way of reporting this problem is.

Thanks

Chris

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-10-04T19:07:01+00:00

    Hi ScotBren

    I don't know - I didn't write the VBA for my workbook - I used a VBA programmer.

    I'll admit that I'm making an assumption that my workbook failure is caused by the oleaut32.dll issue, as my workbook stopped working immediately after KB4511553 was applied (ie within minutes)

    However, I'm now thinking that you might be right - I've found that on a VM with Win10 build 1709, I can run my workbook in Office 2007 but not Office 365 - it looks like it could be something else, but you have to admit, its a very spooky coincidence!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-10-06T20:09:39+00:00

    it is so sad that after following your suggestion & waiting for MS support to call me back I spent almost 2 hours being bounced around to 3 different people only to be placed on permanent hold by the last one.  my case # was/is 1485083846 but no one seemed to understand either me or my problem.  since the fix has been rolled out for most versions, why hasn't the fix been rolled out for MS10 build 1903? This has been a nightmare for me & I had to turn off updates to continue using my software to do my job which leaves me vulnerable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-10-07T01:58:02+00:00

    WilliamNesbitt1,

    How did you contact Microsoft for support?  That number you mentioned as your "case #" is not in the format we use in Customer Support Services. If you were indeed talking to Microsoft support people, I'm very surprised that they would not have been aware of the bug that we fixed a month or more ago.  The fix for Windows 10 1903 was indeed released. I'm saddened to hear that this has been a nightmare for you. I'm very curious to know what type of "MS support" you reached and from where that case # comes.

    Did you start from here? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us

    Scot

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments