Windows Update 2019-08 Cumulative Update has broken VBA code use case

Anonymous
2019-08-14T10:33:56+00:00

An issue with VBA code has started to be seen by some of my users and also by me this morning. I have tracked it down to have been caused by the latest 2019-08 Cumulative Update (e.g. KB4511553) and it is affecting all combinations of Windows and Office that I have seen so far- from Windows Server 2008 to Windows 10 & Office 2003(!) to Office 2016. 

The test code below demonstrates the problem. The method "Test" executes with no errors before the 2019-08 cumulative update is installed (or after it is uninstalled). However, after the update, the scenario of passing an empty ParamArray parameter to another method as a Variant parameter causes an error to be thrown on the declaration line of the second method. (Error 5: Invalid procedure call or argument).

Sub Test()

    Test1 "A", "B"   'Works OK with and without Windows Update

    Test1            'Fails after Windows Update

End Sub

Sub Test1(ParamArray P() As Variant)

    Test2 P

End Sub

Sub Test2(ByVal P As Variant)    'Error occurs on this line

End Sub

This is causing errors in my Microsoft Access application, but I have also tried this code in Word 2016 and the same issue occurs there too.

Can somebody validate this, please? I'm not really sure what the correct way of reporting this problem is.

Thanks

Chris

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-08-15T07:56:16+00:00

    Hi Scot,

    Thank you for the update.

    As per your suggestion, I am working around the issue by passing "Empty" instead of the empty ParamArray and detecting that within the inner function.

    For future reference, where am I actually supposed to go to report stuff like this to Microsoft? I couldn't find a way to report a problem with a specific Windows Update. I asked @MicrosoftHelps on Twitter and they directed me to UserVoice - which didn't seem right as it appears as more of an idea submission hub. So I found this forum and posted here.

    Thanks

    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Tom van Stiphout 40,216 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-08-15T01:45:56+00:00

    4512508 was also mentioned here: 

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903

    Excerpt:

    Details Originating update Status History
    Apps using Visual Basic 6 (VB6), VBA, and VBScript may stop responding with error<br><br>After installing KB4512508, applications that were made using Visual Basic 6 (VB6), macros using Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), and scripts or apps using Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript) may stop responding and you may receive<br> an "invalid procedure call error."<br><br><br><br><br><br>Affected platforms:<br><br><ul><br><li>Client: Windows 10, version 1903; Windows 10, version 1809; Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019; Windows 10, version 1803; Windows 10, version 1709; Windows 10, version 1703; Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2016; Windows 10, version 1607; Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC<br> 2015; Windows 8.1; Windows 7 SP1</li><li>Server: Windows Server, version 1903; Windows Server, version 1809; Windows Server 2019; Windows Server, version 1803; Windows Server, version 1709 ; Windows Server 2016; Windows Server 2012 R2; Windows Server 2012; Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1; Windows Server<br> 2008 SP2</li></ul><br><br><br>Next steps: Microsoft is presently investigating this issue and will provide an update when available.<br><br> <br><br>Back to top OS Build 18362.295 <br><br> <br><br>August 13, 2019 <br><br>KB4512508 Acknowledged Last updated: <br><br>August 14, 2019 <br><br>03:34 PM PT

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-08-15T00:44:11+00:00

    Here’s a more complete list of KB articles that will have updates to them.  The "Dashboard” can be accessed with this short URL:  https://aka.ms/WIndowsReleaseHealth

    All KB articles are now updated with the known issue:

    OS KB Number
    RS1 - Windows 10 1607 and Windows Server 2016 4512517
    RS2 - Windows 10 Version 1703 4512507
    RS3 - Windows 10 Version 1709 4512516
    RS4 - Windows 10 version 1803 or Windows Server Version 1803 4512501
    RS5 – Windows 10 version 1809 4511553
    19H1 (1903) – Windows 10, version 1903 4512508
    TH1 (1507/RTM) 4512497
    Monthly Rollup Win 8.1 and Win Server 2012 R2 4512488
    Sec. Only Win 8.1 and Win Server 2012 R2 4512489
    Monthly Rollup Win Server 2012 & Windows Embedded 8 Standard 4512518
    Sec. Only Win Server 2012 & Windows Embedded 8 Standard 4512482
    Monthly Rollup Win 7 SP1 and Win Server 2008 R2 SP1 4512506
    Sec. Only Win 7 SP1 and Win Server 2008 R2 SP1 4512486
    Monthly Rollup Win Server 2008 SP2 4512476
    Sec. Only Win Server 2008 SP2 4512491

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-08-15T00:24:25+00:00

    I am a Sr. Escalation Engineer for Microsoft, and we are already working multiple support cases that have been opened for this issue.  The update that was released yesterday contained a change in the oleaut32.dll that mitigates a specific security exploit.

    Scot

    I forgot to ask, what is the KB number for that update?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-08-14T23:52:18+00:00

    While I'm not directly connected to any of the teams that can respond to your suggestions and requests, I'm at least inside "the moat", so I 'll do what I can to find the people who can actually do something there.  So that we don't spam this forum thread about issues not directly related to the original post, please contact me at my Microsoft "dot com" address.

    I hope that those who read this reply will do me the respect of not abusing that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments