Windows Update 2019-08 Cumulative Update has broken VBA code use case

Anonymous
2019-08-14T10:33:56+00:00

An issue with VBA code has started to be seen by some of my users and also by me this morning. I have tracked it down to have been caused by the latest 2019-08 Cumulative Update (e.g. KB4511553) and it is affecting all combinations of Windows and Office that I have seen so far- from Windows Server 2008 to Windows 10 & Office 2003(!) to Office 2016. 

The test code below demonstrates the problem. The method "Test" executes with no errors before the 2019-08 cumulative update is installed (or after it is uninstalled). However, after the update, the scenario of passing an empty ParamArray parameter to another method as a Variant parameter causes an error to be thrown on the declaration line of the second method. (Error 5: Invalid procedure call or argument).

Sub Test()

    Test1 "A", "B"   'Works OK with and without Windows Update

    Test1            'Fails after Windows Update

End Sub

Sub Test1(ParamArray P() As Variant)

    Test2 P

End Sub

Sub Test2(ByVal P As Variant)    'Error occurs on this line

End Sub

This is causing errors in my Microsoft Access application, but I have also tried this code in Word 2016 and the same issue occurs there too.

Can somebody validate this, please? I'm not really sure what the correct way of reporting this problem is.

Thanks

Chris

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2019-08-14T14:35:20+00:00

    Hi Tom, 

    Thanks for replying. I have tested on 1907 11901.20176 and this did exhibit the error, as it has on all versions I have tried of Microsoft Office. I have created a blank database from scratch with the test code.

    Have you tried executing the code after installing the 2019-08 Windows Cumulative Update? This is KB4511553 for my version of Windows (1809), but KB4512501 on 1803, or KB4512508 on 1903. (Also KB4512476 for the Monthly Rollup for Windows Server 2008 SP2)

    Thanks

    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Tom van Stiphout 40,216 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-08-14T14:15:03+00:00

    I don't have that exact version, but your code works fine in:

    1907 11901.20176

    1907 11901.20218

    1909 12001.20000

    Perhaps you can upgrade or downgrade?

    Did you decompile?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments