I appear to have found a solution to the hidden file issue, however in addition to the files being hidden, I am also observing that saving the file immediately after being created fails. Here are the steps to reproduce:
Running OS X 10.14.6
Word 16.32 (19120802)
- Create a new file in word
- Save file on network share
- File will save, and disappear.
- Make changes to the file, try and close word.
- Word prompts to save, hit save.
- Word appears to close, but then reopens.
- Turns out it is impossible to save the changes to this file - the only way to exit is to tell Word to discard the changes - subsequently opening the file confirms only the initial save worked
- Opening the file again, saving works normally.
Clearing the hidden flag does not fix the save issue... I noticed the com.apple.quarantine flag is set on the file, sure enough examining the logs I see that sandboxd has denied write access to create temporary files.
The behaviour occurs using both AFP and SMB protocols.
The sandboxd error that occurs when I initially create a file:
Violation: deny(1) file-read-xattr /Volumes/Public/
The sandboxd errors that occur when trying to save that same file immediately afterwards:
Violation: deny(1) file-write-create /Volumes/Public/Test.docx.sb-118eafb8-ncgFo2
Violation: deny(1) file-write-create /Volumes/Public/.~WRD0001
When I first started testing, there was an additional sandboxd violation in the ~/Library/Group Containers/UB*.Office folder... running the following command in this folder appears to have fixed the hidden file issue:
xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine ~/Library/Group\ Containers/UB*.Office