Fonts not working on Microsoft word

Anonymous
2019-07-31T13:09:19+00:00

I've installed a few fonts that I want to use in Microsoft Word 365. They are open type fonts. They show up in my font selection choices in Microsoft Word but when I start to type it does not use the correct font. It uses a generic font. I know that it isn't a problem with the font itself because it works in other programs. Any solutions?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-12-18T13:30:18+00:00

Be sure to extract the font from a zip file if it came that way. The option to install or install for all users will not be available if the font is still inside a zip file. 

Windows 10 makes it easy, though. In File Explorer, browse into the zip file to the font file. At the top of File Explorer, click the Extract (Compressed Folder Tools), then click Extract all. Follow the prompts, then, when the files are extracted, right-click and Install for All Users.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-08T02:50:38+00:00

    So, does this mean I uninstall every single font (that was there and worked since last 8 years on my PC) and install them again choosing install for all users option. I think this can take a lot of time.

    You will find that MOST fonts are ok. Re-install only the fonts that are displaying incorrectly.  :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-10T06:48:11+00:00

    Within the specific fonts, I checked the properties of the font not working properly. The permissions only allowed for the font to 'read & execute' and 'read' but not to 'write.' To fix, in the font settings in the control panel, right click on the font in question and select properties, select security, select edit, check mark the box next to 'write,' select apply and select okay. This should allow the font to write in Word.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2020-01-10T13:10:06+00:00

    Within the specific fonts, I checked the properties of the font not working properly. The permissions only allowed for the font to 'read & execute' and 'read' but not to 'write.' To fix, in the font settings in the control panel, right click on the font in question and select properties, select security, select edit, check mark the box next to 'write,' select apply and select okay. This should allow the font to write in Word. 

    The permissions issue you are describing indicates that the font wasn't properly installed for all users.

    Elsewhere in this thread, it is suggested that there should be an option to install fonts for all users; see also https://windowsloop.com/install-fonts-in-windows-10/ (third-party link).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-26T04:17:08+00:00

    I could kiss you!!!  Thank you SOOO much for this fix.  This has been plaguing me for months.  I'm so happy right now.

    • Right click on the font, click "Install for all users"

    It WORKS!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments