Fonts not working on Microsoft word

Anonymous
2019-07-31T13:09:19+00:00

I've installed a few fonts that I want to use in Microsoft Word 365. They are open type fonts. They show up in my font selection choices in Microsoft Word but when I start to type it does not use the correct font. It uses a generic font. I know that it isn't a problem with the font itself because it works in other programs. Any solutions?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-12-18T13:30:18+00:00

Be sure to extract the font from a zip file if it came that way. The option to install or install for all users will not be available if the font is still inside a zip file. 

Windows 10 makes it easy, though. In File Explorer, browse into the zip file to the font file. At the top of File Explorer, click the Extract (Compressed Folder Tools), then click Extract all. Follow the prompts, then, when the files are extracted, right-click and Install for All Users.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-12-18T21:41:21+00:00

    Yes, it appears that it is THE ONLY solution to this problem, YET, it cannot be found (at least in my extensive searches) anywhere on the Internet, incl. Microsoft, Windows, etc. THANK YOU heaps for sharing thissolution. Eternally grateful!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-12-22T21:32:58+00:00

    The only solution is to delte and re install WORD?   I bought this Dell Computer less than a year ago with WORD already installed so

    i don't have a disc.

    I did everything the 1st responder mentioned about extracting all............ however it didn't work when i went to type in that specific font even though it is listed in the WORD pull down menu.  So frustrated.

    Thank you

    Sandy

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-12-22T21:42:02+00:00

    The only solution is to delte and re install WORD?   I bought this Dell Computer less than a year ago with WORD already installed so

    i don't have a disc.

    I did everything the 1st responder mentioned about extracting all............ however it didn't work when i went to type in that specific font even though it is listed in the WORD pull down menu.  So frustrated.

    If the problem is with a specific font, only, reinstalling Office is hardly worth the effort. Just use some other font which is working properly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-12-23T10:07:07+00:00

    The only solution is to delte and re install WORD?   I bought this Dell Computer less than a year ago with WORD already installed so

    i don't have a disc.

    I did everything the 1st responder mentioned about extracting all............ however it didn't work when i went to type in that specific font even though it is listed in the WORD pull down menu.  So frustrated.

    Thank you

    Sandy

    Sandy, no, I didn't mean re-installing the Windows or Office or Word.  If you'd open the post I was replying to, it said:

    Be sure to extract the font from a zip file if it came that way. The option to install or install for all users will not be available if the font is still inside a zip file. 

    Windows 10 makes it easy, though. In File Explorer, browse into the zip file to the font file. At the top of File Explorer, click the Extract (Compressed Folder Tools), then click Extract all. Follow the prompts, then, when the files are extracted, right-click and Insall for All Users.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments