Fonts not working on Microsoft word

Anonymous
2019-07-31T13:09:19+00:00

I've installed a few fonts that I want to use in Microsoft Word 365. They are open type fonts. They show up in my font selection choices in Microsoft Word but when I start to type it does not use the correct font. It uses a generic font. I know that it isn't a problem with the font itself because it works in other programs. Any solutions?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-12-18T13:30:18+00:00

Be sure to extract the font from a zip file if it came that way. The option to install or install for all users will not be available if the font is still inside a zip file. 

Windows 10 makes it easy, though. In File Explorer, browse into the zip file to the font file. At the top of File Explorer, click the Extract (Compressed Folder Tools), then click Extract all. Follow the prompts, then, when the files are extracted, right-click and Install for All Users.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-11-01T16:17:31+00:00

    I am having the same issue. The font (Oswald) is

    1. installed correctly
    2. up to date
    3. is a .ttf file
    4. is recognized by Word -- displayed in the available fonts list in the left corner, in the correct font

    However, when it is selected, what I type in the body of the document does not appear in that font. Nor am I able to select text and change to that font.

    When I save to PDF, it does not save in the selected font.

    I am running Windows 10 Home, version 1809.

    I have repaired, reset and reinstalled Word with no success.

    Please help. This font is essential to my business.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-10-26T21:57:38+00:00

    Exactly the same problem I'm having with Futura Font. All other updated versions of Futura work except for the original PT Light/Book/Medium/Demi/Bold. They can't be reinstalled or updated. Incredibly frustrating!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-10-22T19:24:24+00:00

    I have this exact same problem.  I am using a font that I installed from an otf file.  I am using whatever is the current version of word downloaded from my Microsoft account.  I have restarted my computer and Word.  The font works just fine in the adobe design programs. It shows up as is should in the sample from the drop down font selector menu of Word.  However, when I type, the correct font is not reflected on the Word document.  Instead, it shows default characters from another font.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-10-22T05:35:00+00:00

    What is the name of the specific font? Does it work as expected in other programs? 

    Also, which versions of Word and Windows are you running?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments