Fonts not working on Microsoft word

Anonymous
2019-07-31T13:09:19+00:00

I've installed a few fonts that I want to use in Microsoft Word 365. They are open type fonts. They show up in my font selection choices in Microsoft Word but when I start to type it does not use the correct font. It uses a generic font. I know that it isn't a problem with the font itself because it works in other programs. Any solutions?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-12-18T13:30:18+00:00

Be sure to extract the font from a zip file if it came that way. The option to install or install for all users will not be available if the font is still inside a zip file. 

Windows 10 makes it easy, though. In File Explorer, browse into the zip file to the font file. At the top of File Explorer, click the Extract (Compressed Folder Tools), then click Extract all. Follow the prompts, then, when the files are extracted, right-click and Install for All Users.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-07T21:09:00+00:00

    So, does this mean I uninstall every single font (that was there and worked since last 8 years on my PC) and install them again choosing install for all users option. I think this can take a lot of time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-04T23:42:35+00:00

    I just had the same issue.

    Solved it by installing the font for all users instead of the regular install:

    • Uninstall the font 
    • Right click, "Install for all users" 

    Thank you so much, Catherine! I spent ages trying to work out why some fonts weren't working in Word, and this fixed them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-12-23T16:40:37+00:00

    i persisted and went back and tried this again with different font and YES! found

    that it worked.

    Thanks so much for everyone's help..........................Sandy

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-12-23T10:12:46+00:00

    The only solution is to delte and re install WORD?   I bought this Dell Computer less than a year ago with WORD already installed so

    i don't have a disc.

    I did everything the 1st responder mentioned about extracting all............ however it didn't work when i went to type in that specific font even though it is listed in the WORD pull down menu.  So frustrated.

    If the problem is with a specific font, only, reinstalling Office is hardly worth the effort. Just use some other font which is working properly.

    Finding a half-way solution is not always the best option, as you may have a job that requires these specific fonts since the file was created with them. You can't always substitute unless you want to re-format the whole book or whatever. And since what was suggested earlier is the PROPER way of solving the problem, why not use it? Shame it cannot be found on the MS official help site. I'll quote it again:

    Be sure to extract the font from a zip file if it came that way. The option to install or install for all users will not be available if the font is still inside a zip file. 

    Windows 10 makes it easy, though. In File Explorer, browse into the zip file to the font file. At the top of File Explorer, click the Extract (Compressed Folder Tools), then click Extract all. Follow the prompts, then, when the files are extracted, right-click and Install for All Users.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments