Fonts not working on Microsoft word

Anonymous
2019-07-31T13:09:19+00:00

I've installed a few fonts that I want to use in Microsoft Word 365. They are open type fonts. They show up in my font selection choices in Microsoft Word but when I start to type it does not use the correct font. It uses a generic font. I know that it isn't a problem with the font itself because it works in other programs. Any solutions?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-12-18T13:30:18+00:00

Be sure to extract the font from a zip file if it came that way. The option to install or install for all users will not be available if the font is still inside a zip file. 

Windows 10 makes it easy, though. In File Explorer, browse into the zip file to the font file. At the top of File Explorer, click the Extract (Compressed Folder Tools), then click Extract all. Follow the prompts, then, when the files are extracted, right-click and Install for All Users.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-03-27T20:37:40+00:00

    I am having the same issue. I have downloaded fonts, unzipped the files, installed for all users but most of the fonts still appear in a generic form in MS word. How else can this be fixed?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-03-26T22:10:00+00:00

    I do design work and have installed over 200 additional fonts. As many others have said, the fonts work fine in other programs. They show up in Word's menu, but are replaced by a generic font when typing.

    I repaired the fonts by right-clicking on "Install for all users." Unfortunately, when my computer did an update, all of the fonts reverted to the generic font on all of my designs. It took me a ridiculous amount of time to get all of the fonts working before. I can't do this every time Windows makes an update. There has to be an easier way.

    I'm designing for weddings and celebrations and "using a font that works" is not an option.

    Please help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-02-02T09:17:54+00:00

    Hello Benjamin maybe you can help me. I tried your suggestion above. The fonts appear to be installed, but in app when i select the font it some other generic font shows up. i have tried multiple apps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-26T13:13:01+00:00

    trying to solve same problem..... Right click on what for "Install for all users"

    Thank you

    Once you've downloaded the font, if it is in a zip file, you need to extract it.  Once its extracted, you go to the folder where you've extracted your font and right click on the font's file.  You will see several choices, but two of them are "install" and "install for all users."  Make sure you click on "Install for all users."

    Jenni & Catherine - I COULD KISS YOU!  I have just spent over an hour on the phone to Emilio, who is quite possibly the worst ever Microsoft Support Agent in the world and you solved the issue!  Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments