Fonts not working on Microsoft word

Anonymous
2019-07-31T13:09:19+00:00

I've installed a few fonts that I want to use in Microsoft Word 365. They are open type fonts. They show up in my font selection choices in Microsoft Word but when I start to type it does not use the correct font. It uses a generic font. I know that it isn't a problem with the font itself because it works in other programs. Any solutions?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-12-18T13:30:18+00:00

Be sure to extract the font from a zip file if it came that way. The option to install or install for all users will not be available if the font is still inside a zip file. 

Windows 10 makes it easy, though. In File Explorer, browse into the zip file to the font file. At the top of File Explorer, click the Extract (Compressed Folder Tools), then click Extract all. Follow the prompts, then, when the files are extracted, right-click and Install for All Users.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-07-28T11:12:41+00:00

    Have been having this problem for months and thankfully Catherine's answer has helped for the most part.

    I deleted and reinstalled the fonts (for the hundredth time) but this time I right clicked and did "install for all users". This has worked for three of the fonts, but weirdly for two others in the same family of fonts from the same site, it's still not working :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-18T06:12:21+00:00

    This is unbelievably frustrating. Just got a new laptop, installed my fonts and none of them are working (I'm a designer and use many different fonts in powerpoint). These fonts were literally just working yesterday! I tried the "install for all users" after extracting, on multiple fonts and they are not working! The font shows in the drop down list, but just displays in my document as a generic font. Paying a lot of money for 365, why are the fonts suddenly not working?!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-10-26T21:57:38+00:00

    Exactly the same problem I'm having with Futura Font. All other updated versions of Futura work except for the original PT Light/Book/Medium/Demi/Bold. They can't be reinstalled or updated. Incredibly frustrating!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-10-22T05:35:00+00:00

    What is the name of the specific font? Does it work as expected in other programs? 

    Also, which versions of Word and Windows are you running?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments