Fonts not working on Microsoft word

Anonymous
2019-07-31T13:09:19+00:00

I've installed a few fonts that I want to use in Microsoft Word 365. They are open type fonts. They show up in my font selection choices in Microsoft Word but when I start to type it does not use the correct font. It uses a generic font. I know that it isn't a problem with the font itself because it works in other programs. Any solutions?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-12-18T13:30:18+00:00

Be sure to extract the font from a zip file if it came that way. The option to install or install for all users will not be available if the font is still inside a zip file. 

Windows 10 makes it easy, though. In File Explorer, browse into the zip file to the font file. At the top of File Explorer, click the Extract (Compressed Folder Tools), then click Extract all. Follow the prompts, then, when the files are extracted, right-click and Install for All Users.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-12-23T10:12:46+00:00

    The only solution is to delte and re install WORD?   I bought this Dell Computer less than a year ago with WORD already installed so

    i don't have a disc.

    I did everything the 1st responder mentioned about extracting all............ however it didn't work when i went to type in that specific font even though it is listed in the WORD pull down menu.  So frustrated.

    If the problem is with a specific font, only, reinstalling Office is hardly worth the effort. Just use some other font which is working properly.

    Finding a half-way solution is not always the best option, as you may have a job that requires these specific fonts since the file was created with them. You can't always substitute unless you want to re-format the whole book or whatever. And since what was suggested earlier is the PROPER way of solving the problem, why not use it? Shame it cannot be found on the MS official help site. I'll quote it again:

    Be sure to extract the font from a zip file if it came that way. The option to install or install for all users will not be available if the font is still inside a zip file. 

    Windows 10 makes it easy, though. In File Explorer, browse into the zip file to the font file. At the top of File Explorer, click the Extract (Compressed Folder Tools), then click Extract all. Follow the prompts, then, when the files are extracted, right-click and Install for All Users.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-11-08T17:54:05+00:00

    I am having the same issues.  I have several fonts that are essential in my work that are not working in any Office product, but have no issues in Adobe.  I have followed all the fixes from uninstalling and reinstalling the fonts and repairing the Office products.  Nothing works to get the fonts to work in Office.

    Again, they show up in the font settings and when test-typing, they work perfectly. They show up and can be used normally in Adobe. But while they show up in Office products on the font pull-down list, they default to generic when attempting to use them.

    I will point out that they worked fine in the past, but it seems that a recent Windows update may have rendered them unusable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-12-05T22:46:39+00:00

    trying to solve same problem..... Right click on what for "Install for all users"

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-11-19T05:36:30+00:00

    I have exactly the same issue. Downloaded a few fonts a few months ago - essential for my business. They were working correctly and were preserved when saving pdfs etc.

    Then suddenly, after an update, they stopped working - the fonts appear in the drop down menu in office products, but they default to standard fonts if selected and aren't preserved when saving as pdfs.

    I have tried many suggested fixes but nothing works.

    Please help Microsoft!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments