Fonts not working on Microsoft word

Anonymous
2019-07-31T13:09:19+00:00

I've installed a few fonts that I want to use in Microsoft Word 365. They are open type fonts. They show up in my font selection choices in Microsoft Word but when I start to type it does not use the correct font. It uses a generic font. I know that it isn't a problem with the font itself because it works in other programs. Any solutions?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-12-18T13:30:18+00:00

Be sure to extract the font from a zip file if it came that way. The option to install or install for all users will not be available if the font is still inside a zip file. 

Windows 10 makes it easy, though. In File Explorer, browse into the zip file to the font file. At the top of File Explorer, click the Extract (Compressed Folder Tools), then click Extract all. Follow the prompts, then, when the files are extracted, right-click and Install for All Users.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-11-24T07:40:25+00:00

    I just had the same issue.

    Solved it by installing the font for all users instead of the regular install:

    • Uninstall the font 
    • Right click, "Install for all users"

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-08-19T04:45:25+00:00

    Hello,

    After troubleshooting this for a while for a customer, I figured out that this happens if your default language in Word is set to a language that is not compatible with the installed font.

    For example, if my default language is set to 'Japanese', any font that is incompatible with 'Japanese' will fail to work, even if I'm typing in English. 

    To check this, go to 'File' > 'Options' > 'Languages'. Make sure your <default> language is one that is compatible with the font.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-10-22T19:24:24+00:00

    I have this exact same problem.  I am using a font that I installed from an otf file.  I am using whatever is the current version of word downloaded from my Microsoft account.  I have restarted my computer and Word.  The font works just fine in the adobe design programs. It shows up as is should in the sample from the drop down font selector menu of Word.  However, when I type, the correct font is not reflected on the Word document.  Instead, it shows default characters from another font.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-12-06T02:50:05+00:00

    trying to solve same problem..... Right click on what for "Install for all users"

    Thank you

    Once you've downloaded the font, if it is in a zip file, you need to extract it.  Once its extracted, you go to the folder where you've extracted your font and right click on the font's file.  You will see several choices, but two of them are "install" and "install for all users."  Make sure you click on "Install for all users."

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments