Intermittent permissions error in Word 365 for Mac

Anonymous
2019-04-24T18:11:45+00:00

I'm finding I'm getting an intermittent permissions error in Word 365 (16.24) on MacOS Mojave (10.14.4).

I'll generally be able to open and save documents for a couple of hours - then, I'll get an error telling me I don't have the required permissions to open the document(s) I'm trying to access. I can't save the current document I'm working on either. These are all documents that I have created - on the same Mac using Word 365 (usually within the last few days or weeks)

A restart helps with the issue - but only postpones it for another couple of hours. Plus I don't want to have to keep restarting!!

When I try to open a file I get the following popup:

After selecting to grant access I then get:

Then, after choosing the correct file and selecting 'grant access', I get:

Any help would be appreciated! I can obviously post more info if required.

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-07-09T14:51:02+00:00

    This Terminal command worked for me:

    bash-3.2$ sudo atsutil databases -remove

    Password:

    Removing: /private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n00000c4000031/C/System

    Removing: /private/var/folders/yd/_cjs7kts253c8bzxsrj3cxv80000gq/C/com.apple.FontRegistry

    bash-3.2$

    I have tried this several times and it has not permanently solved the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-07-10T01:31:08+00:00

    Scott, 

    I'm having the same problem, and I do not want to uninstall or even restart my computer as there is a lot of unsaved work across multiple documents. 

    Were you able to find anything that worked for this issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-07-10T02:17:17+00:00

    I have not found a solution. For your unsaved work, you can either save it to OneDrive (which will still work, mysteriously), or you can use the email button to email the contents to yourself, and then put them back into a new word doc after you restart Word. It's great fun.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-07-12T14:31:23+00:00

    Since the most recent update for MS 365, this problem has stopped for me.  I am still keeping my fingers crossed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-07-17T14:44:54+00:00

    I upgraded to Slow Insider release 16.27 (19071500) this morning and am still seeing the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments