Intermittent permissions error in Word 365 for Mac

Anonymous
2019-04-24T18:11:45+00:00

I'm finding I'm getting an intermittent permissions error in Word 365 (16.24) on MacOS Mojave (10.14.4).

I'll generally be able to open and save documents for a couple of hours - then, I'll get an error telling me I don't have the required permissions to open the document(s) I'm trying to access. I can't save the current document I'm working on either. These are all documents that I have created - on the same Mac using Word 365 (usually within the last few days or weeks)

A restart helps with the issue - but only postpones it for another couple of hours. Plus I don't want to have to keep restarting!!

When I try to open a file I get the following popup:

After selecting to grant access I then get:

Then, after choosing the correct file and selecting 'grant access', I get:

Any help would be appreciated! I can obviously post more info if required.

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-07-04T02:11:51+00:00

    This Terminal command worked for me:

    bash-3.2$ sudo atsutil databases -remove

    Password:

    Removing: /private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n00000c4000031/C/System

    Removing: /private/var/folders/yd/_cjs7kts253c8bzxsrj3cxv80000gq/C/com.apple.FontRegistry

    bash-3.2$

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-07-06T17:12:15+00:00

    Same issues - spent 45 minutes on phone with MS tech - she ran First Aid in Disk Utility which resolved it for that day. Said MS was working on a fix but wouldn't promise when available.  She said to expect that this would be a recurring problem.  Today, same issue reappeared and ran First Aid again today.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-07-09T03:18:44+00:00

    I primarily get the permissions error when I try to save a file with a different name.  I open a patient's record, update it, then save it with, for example, a different date.  I get a permissions error, and I am unable to save the file until I force quit Word, re-open the file and save with the new date attached in the file name.  For example, I open the file:

    Doe John 20190621 19661221

    I make the necessary updates, then try to save it as:

    Doe John 20190624 19661221

    At least a dozen times a day, about at every 7 to 10 file saves, I get the permissions error that will not let me save the file.

    I occasionally get the permissions error when opening a file, but the ratio is about 10 to 1.  

    I have never installed any third party fonts.  I use only Word native fonts, primarily Trebuchet MS.

    Cheers

    Same problem, has been happening intermittently for weeks already.

    Have run into this problem with Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.

    Really frustrating as I constantly have to email myself files to back them up. I almost lost a file once--was saved due to my paranoid backuping.

    Since I started using cloud services, this is the first time I've had to worry about a file getting lost. MS and/or Apple really need to sort this out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-07-09T14:17:32+00:00

    I am also having this issue with both Word and Excel and it is completely inconsistent. I just had two files open, closed both and now can only open one. SO frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-07-09T14:20:19+00:00

    This Terminal command worked for me:

    bash-3.2$ sudo atsutil databases -remove

    Password:

    Removing: /private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n00000c4000031/C/System

    Removing: /private/var/folders/yd/_cjs7kts253c8bzxsrj3cxv80000gq/C/com.apple.FontRegistry

    bash-3.2$

    This worked for me too.... for now. :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments