Intermittent permissions error in Word 365 for Mac

Anonymous
2019-04-24T18:11:45+00:00

I'm finding I'm getting an intermittent permissions error in Word 365 (16.24) on MacOS Mojave (10.14.4).

I'll generally be able to open and save documents for a couple of hours - then, I'll get an error telling me I don't have the required permissions to open the document(s) I'm trying to access. I can't save the current document I'm working on either. These are all documents that I have created - on the same Mac using Word 365 (usually within the last few days or weeks)

A restart helps with the issue - but only postpones it for another couple of hours. Plus I don't want to have to keep restarting!!

When I try to open a file I get the following popup:

After selecting to grant access I then get:

Then, after choosing the correct file and selecting 'grant access', I get:

Any help would be appreciated! I can obviously post more info if required.

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-07-01T14:34:37+00:00

    I've been on the helpline three times in the last few weeks.  Super nice people.  But, short-term fixes that don't last (safe mode, restart, macros, etc.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-07-01T23:27:14+00:00

    Thanks for the feedback SteKelly.  I will have to pay attention to the age of the file.  I get permissions errors on tiles that are, at most, 4 weeks old.  Like the rest, I really, really wish MS would get a fix for this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-07-02T13:18:42+00:00

    2 months later and still no fix! 

    30 mins with MS support earlier doing this:

    Well, Arnold, much though I appreciated your help, your confidence was misplaced! As the issue has just occurred again despite you doing the above!

    Oh well, 3rd restart of the day!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-07-02T14:44:05+00:00

    i have the same problem and have spoken with a live agent 4 times in the last month. really frustrated. i was hopeful when i saw the recommendations here but had trouble to follow them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-07-02T14:59:13+00:00

    No need to follow anything you see here Nancy, they remotely accessed my machine to carry out the above this morning and it solved nothing :(

    This is quickly becoming a thread of 'how not to solve this problem' - although I guess through a process of elimination we might one day get to a positive outcome. Switching to Google Docs for instance...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments