Intermittent permissions error in Word 365 for Mac

Anonymous
2019-04-24T18:11:45+00:00

I'm finding I'm getting an intermittent permissions error in Word 365 (16.24) on MacOS Mojave (10.14.4).

I'll generally be able to open and save documents for a couple of hours - then, I'll get an error telling me I don't have the required permissions to open the document(s) I'm trying to access. I can't save the current document I'm working on either. These are all documents that I have created - on the same Mac using Word 365 (usually within the last few days or weeks)

A restart helps with the issue - but only postpones it for another couple of hours. Plus I don't want to have to keep restarting!!

When I try to open a file I get the following popup:

After selecting to grant access I then get:

Then, after choosing the correct file and selecting 'grant access', I get:

Any help would be appreciated! I can obviously post more info if required.

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-04-24T20:35:24+00:00

    Hi, how are you, thanks for posting in our microsoft community

    I recommend that you try to resolve the issue by completely uninstalling it and then reinstalling it

    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/troubl...

    Also you may take a look to the information in this thread:

    https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/32070...

    Best luck!

    ——————————————————————-

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-04-24T20:53:01+00:00

    Thanks Jose. I'll give the reinstall a try. It's a shame that's what's needed as this feels like it's almost certainly a Word error - especially with permission issues not cropping up at the same time in Excel or any other Office apps. Surely if there was a Mac/OS related issue it wouldn't be intermittent - and would be apparent with all apps seeking the same permission?

    The StackExchange thread also suggests that this could be a problem I'll struggle to get rid of! If that's the case, I'll be switching to Google Docs!! I've had to restart my machine 3 times today already!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-04-24T21:00:15+00:00

    Also - further to my previous reply. I can open the documents in other applications - so, once again, I'm almost certain this is a Word issue - rather than a hardware/OS issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-04-25T15:38:27+00:00

    Hi SteKelly,

    Thanks for posting in our forum and Sorry for the inconvenience the issue causes.

    Please try to empty the AutoRecovery folder to see the outcome.

    The AutoRecovery folder folder is under: /Users/<username>/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/Library/Preferences/AutoRecovery.

    Note: The Library folder is hidden in Finder. To display this folder, hold down the OPTION key while you click the Go menu.

    Also, please remove Word preferences to see the result.

    The Word  preferences under: /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/, Drag com.microsoft.Word.plist to the desktop.

    Please have try and let us know the result, we will try our best for helping you.

    Regards,

    Clark

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-04-28T10:08:58+00:00

    Hi SteKelly,

    Haven't heard from you for a while. Are there any updates? Feel free to reply at your convenience and we will continue to follow up.

    Thanks,

    Clark

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments