Intermittent permissions error in Word 365 for Mac

Anonymous
2019-04-24T18:11:45+00:00

I'm finding I'm getting an intermittent permissions error in Word 365 (16.24) on MacOS Mojave (10.14.4).

I'll generally be able to open and save documents for a couple of hours - then, I'll get an error telling me I don't have the required permissions to open the document(s) I'm trying to access. I can't save the current document I'm working on either. These are all documents that I have created - on the same Mac using Word 365 (usually within the last few days or weeks)

A restart helps with the issue - but only postpones it for another couple of hours. Plus I don't want to have to keep restarting!!

When I try to open a file I get the following popup:

After selecting to grant access I then get:

Then, after choosing the correct file and selecting 'grant access', I get:

Any help would be appreciated! I can obviously post more info if required.

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-06-21T18:02:15+00:00

    Thank you Support-mg and the rest of the responders.  I am having this same problem.  Forcing to "Force Quit" Word and re-open at least a dozen times a day.  I use Word for all my patient records.  Obviously, this is very frustrating.  At the risk of sounding lazy, I am loath to attempt all of the steps mentioned in the various posts, especially Support-mg's.  I'm begging, any Microsoft support people, release a fix for this issue.  Cheers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-06-21T15:30:44+00:00

    I'm having the same issue with Excel. Mojave 10.14.5 and Office 365 16.26. Auto-save disabled.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-06-19T20:50:33+00:00

    Yes yes yes to this. Same here. 

    I've implimented the following on 2 machines with several I'm awaiting access to to see if it is a robust workflow.

    So far so good after a couple of weeks of use on the first machines.

    All that are still having problems have with fully patched Mojave and fully patched MSO 365 suite apps (patched as of 2019-Jun-01, at least). 

    All that said, what APPEARS in limited testing to work, in my environment (with links to original source):

    1. Update the apps (if needed) & Sign out of the Suite once updated.
    2. Clear out the Containers as mentioned in this link:

          >> https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Automation-of-the-Steps-in-bd36f4c0

         ( >> referenced from: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3025946/unknown-error-or-clock-error-when-you-activate-outlook-2016-for-mac ) 

         && the activation licence files noted in this link: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/how-to-remove-office-license-files-on-a-mac-b032c0f6-a431-4dad-83a9-6b727c03b193

         && the "Privliged Helper Tools" folder in this link: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/what-to-try-if-you-can-t-install-or-activate-office-for-mac-5efba2b4-b1e6-4e5f-bf3c-6ab945d03dea

    This link documents the full list of support files for MS Office v2016. Not sure what, if any, differences v2019 has. I did clear all the items listed here (though most were pulled in the steps above) just in case & ran Finder searhces for anything else I could link to any Microsoft saoftware (Skype.app excluded) and deleted those support files just in case. I doubt that had any value but some of my users have been migrating to new Mac's since MS office "vX" (but some people having problems, never even had v2011, thus my feleing that effort wasn't helpful): https://gist.github.com/pirafrank/18d62c062e2806c1d183

    1. Clear 'Microsoft' out the Keychain as mentioned in this link:

        >> https://www.zdnet.com/article/fixing-an-unfixable-mac-office-credentials-error-kids-dont-try-this-at-home/

    1. Clear the font caches (hey, why not once we're gotten this deep into the weeds):

         >> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8250288 or via app https://www.northernsoftworks.com/mojavecachecleaner.html (this app is MacOS 10.4 to 10.14)

    1. Reboot immediately & Relaunch an MSOffice app - log back in and activate (if it doesn't activate automatically - as sometimes happens and doesn't seem to be a clue to who on my team are having issues and who are not).

    As an asside, the font cache seems to be most useful in cases when one of my OpenType or PostScript fonts cause printing errors in MSOffice files due to MacOS also having a less complete version of the family installed as a SIP-protected (eg. required) font. Since some support threads suggest MS Office can sometimne have file access problems related to fonts, I throw the cache reset in into the more global troubleshooting steps. It's still not a reliable fix when that happens. We largely try to avoid "professional" fonts in MS Office given the years of headaches the app has dealing with fonts outside it's own little stash.

    For whatever it's worth to know:

    * my apps are all in /Applications, not the ~/Applications folder. I don't expect it matters.

    * I often use a custom autosave location set in Microsoft Word.app preferences. After years of problems with autosave saving autosave info to network volumes I prefer to declare where MS Word saves it's autosave files (~/documents/Microsoft Office/autosave

    • a preference which, as per typical since forever, various verisons of MS Word.app will ignore.)

    I've started mixing this up a bit to hunt for a clue about why some users have problems and others don't. This effort started when iCloud and, later, Google Drive directories that were in sync with one of those 2 services "saving" files without the users changes being included. And some failurs to save on the 'can't save the document, the originalmust have moved' error (sigh).

    I used to use ~/documents/microsoft user data/autosave religiously, but have started using ~/library/favorites/AutoSave, ensuring that the file is User Writeable since this folder doesn't sync in our Google Drive setup, whereas paths in ~/Documents do.

    I do suspect that the bastardized autosave Microsoft uses is a part of the file save/open problems. It's been an on-again-off-again problem since office since at least v2004. Seeing that MS Word *still* frequently ignores the custom autosave file path makes problems that could be triggered by where, exactly, that "~" file exists in the file structure difficult to tease out /=

    Anyhow - the autosave system is, since forever, horrible. If it's not a part of the file permissions & save problems I'll be plesently shocked. All I want for Christmas is a Microsoft Office for Mac suite *that can reliably save a file* - it doesn't seem like to much to ask for the $$ we ship to Redmond. -J.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-06-16T01:50:49+00:00

    Same issue here with Word here (v16.26 Office 365 subscription). I'm averaging a dozen or so Word restarts a day to be rid (temporarily) of the random permission error. No idea what triggers it, but I've resorted to using Word for Mac 2011 to open some needed docs I'm denied access to when I don't want to restart.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-06-14T17:09:12+00:00

    we have tried uninstalling/reinstalling. we have tried lots of other commands to clear various caches and key. this problem keeps coming back. I believe it's a bug with the way office interacts with macOS sandboxing that only MS (or Apple) can fix. Is there anything that can be done to get this issue more attention?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments