Intermittent permissions error in Word 365 for Mac

Anonymous
2019-04-24T18:11:45+00:00

I'm finding I'm getting an intermittent permissions error in Word 365 (16.24) on MacOS Mojave (10.14.4).

I'll generally be able to open and save documents for a couple of hours - then, I'll get an error telling me I don't have the required permissions to open the document(s) I'm trying to access. I can't save the current document I'm working on either. These are all documents that I have created - on the same Mac using Word 365 (usually within the last few days or weeks)

A restart helps with the issue - but only postpones it for another couple of hours. Plus I don't want to have to keep restarting!!

When I try to open a file I get the following popup:

After selecting to grant access I then get:

Then, after choosing the correct file and selecting 'grant access', I get:

Any help would be appreciated! I can obviously post more info if required.

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-07-02T14:44:05+00:00

    i have the same problem and have spoken with a live agent 4 times in the last month. really frustrated. i was hopeful when i saw the recommendations here but had trouble to follow them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-07-02T13:18:42+00:00

    2 months later and still no fix! 

    30 mins with MS support earlier doing this:

    Well, Arnold, much though I appreciated your help, your confidence was misplaced! As the issue has just occurred again despite you doing the above!

    Oh well, 3rd restart of the day!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-07-01T23:27:14+00:00

    Thanks for the feedback SteKelly.  I will have to pay attention to the age of the file.  I get permissions errors on tiles that are, at most, 4 weeks old.  Like the rest, I really, really wish MS would get a fix for this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-07-01T14:34:37+00:00

    I've been on the helpline three times in the last few weeks.  Super nice people.  But, short-term fixes that don't last (safe mode, restart, macros, etc.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-07-01T10:26:25+00:00

    Hey Scott & all affected - appreciate all the input on this since the original post, strangely reassuring to know this is a problem for a lot of people and not just me.

    I'm still getting this issue despite trying all the fixes. AND PLEASE, don't post the macros fix again, I'm getting sick of seeing it - IT DOESN'T REMEDY THIS ISSUE!

    I have noticed that the issue seems to only happen once with each file - although this could perhaps be only over a certain timeframe. For example, I opened 4 word documents late last week - they were in a file that contained 10 documents in total. Today (4 days later), I tried to open all these 10 documents at once, but only the 4 that I had previously opened actually opened - with the rest showing the error from my original post. 

    Although I have no evidence to back this up - I do find that it's older files that I'm opening that seem to get this issue. For instance, docs I created last week are opening fine - but the docs I'm getting errors from I created in Sept 18. Again, restarts of my Mac are still working, but this is still enormously frustrating. 

    Twitter support points me at the helpline, but I'm loathe to waste my time if other people aren't getting anywhere.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments