Intermittent permissions error in Word 365 for Mac

Anonymous
2019-04-24T18:11:45+00:00

I'm finding I'm getting an intermittent permissions error in Word 365 (16.24) on MacOS Mojave (10.14.4).

I'll generally be able to open and save documents for a couple of hours - then, I'll get an error telling me I don't have the required permissions to open the document(s) I'm trying to access. I can't save the current document I'm working on either. These are all documents that I have created - on the same Mac using Word 365 (usually within the last few days or weeks)

A restart helps with the issue - but only postpones it for another couple of hours. Plus I don't want to have to keep restarting!!

When I try to open a file I get the following popup:

After selecting to grant access I then get:

Then, after choosing the correct file and selecting 'grant access', I get:

Any help would be appreciated! I can obviously post more info if required.

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-07-09T14:20:19+00:00

    This Terminal command worked for me:

    bash-3.2$ sudo atsutil databases -remove

    Password:

    Removing: /private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n00000c4000031/C/System

    Removing: /private/var/folders/yd/_cjs7kts253c8bzxsrj3cxv80000gq/C/com.apple.FontRegistry

    bash-3.2$

    This worked for me too.... for now. :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-07-04T02:11:51+00:00

    This Terminal command worked for me:

    bash-3.2$ sudo atsutil databases -remove

    Password:

    Removing: /private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n00000c4000031/C/System

    Removing: /private/var/folders/yd/_cjs7kts253c8bzxsrj3cxv80000gq/C/com.apple.FontRegistry

    bash-3.2$

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-06-22T00:51:18+00:00

    See:

    How to fix permissions errors

    https://appuals.com/office-2016-grant-access-error-on-macos/

    Originally posted by MVP Jim Gordon

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-06-21T18:02:15+00:00

    Thank you Support-mg and the rest of the responders.  I am having this same problem.  Forcing to "Force Quit" Word and re-open at least a dozen times a day.  I use Word for all my patient records.  Obviously, this is very frustrating.  At the risk of sounding lazy, I am loath to attempt all of the steps mentioned in the various posts, especially Support-mg's.  I'm begging, any Microsoft support people, release a fix for this issue.  Cheers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-06-12T17:15:58+00:00

    Same problem here. Using Word 365 under OSX High Sierra. Very intermittent but constantly happens. I find myself restarting Word every hour, very frustrating!! I was hoping that with recent updates the problem would get fixed... guess not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments