Printing to OneNote Windows 10 app cuts off margins of all documents with no controls to fix!

Anonymous
2019-06-10T16:39:38+00:00

My users have been suffering with this every day since we were forced to use OneNote Windows 10 after MS ripped it out of the Office 365 installer.  We are rolling out Teams and heavily rely on OneNote to "print" documents into the Team Notebooks.  I have called o365 support, they told me I now have to pay Windows support since our problem is in OneNote Win 10 and not OneNote 2016 so they no longer support OneNote.  I have submitted feedback via the OneNote Win 10 app, I've submitted in UserVoice, I've commented on other's questions here and also in other's user voice submissions.  I've seen no response from anyone on the OneNote team as to why such a fundamentally simple problem ever made it into the wild and why no one will fix this simple problem.

What is probably most frustrating is that if we print to OneNote 2016 this worked perfectly every time.  If we print the same document to OneNote Win 10 app, it fails EVERY time.

Anyone out there ever print to OneNote Win 10 and see their document cut off on top/bottom left/right margins?  Anyone here on the OneNote team, ever use ONeNote and try to print a document to OneNote win 10?

Buehler?.... Buehler?...

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-10-10T15:48:20+00:00

    Hi Sally,

    Thanks for posting here. We have reported this case to related team, and it has been created as a bug to be checked by the product team. But we haven’t got exact time when it will be fixed. To show more impact, I would like to suggest you click the smiley face to report at the same time to show more impact.

    And currently, the workaround is to go to View > turn on “Gridlines” and check the document content area, the gridline area shows the margin range. If we modify everything inside of the gridline area, the issue will not happen.

    Regards,

    Rena

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-10-10T19:00:49+00:00

    Rena,

      I appreciate that someone at MS is actually still monitoring this thread even though nothing at all has been done to fix this critical bug.  Where do you suggest we click the smiley face?  In the application that is printing?  How will that make it to the OneNote Team?  Also, where are we to turn on "View\Turn on Gridlines"???  In the application that is printing to OneNote?  I tried turning on gridlines in Word using a document that OneNote chops off and my document is perfectly inside the gridlines, yet OneNote still destroys the document.    So not sure what this suggestion is supposed to help.

    Please advise.

    thanks,

    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-10-11T13:28:59+00:00

    Hi Chris,

    The gridline settings is just what you have tried. Based on our test, the issue doesn’t happen if all contents are inside the gridlines area.

    If this doesn’t work for you, another workaround can be, use “send to OneNote 2016”. You can sync the same notebook by both opening OneNote 2016 and OneNote for Windows 10 app.

    These two apps support working together. In this way, the printed image will not be cut off, and it will be synced from OneNote 2016 to OneNote for Windows 10.

    We understand this is just a workaround, not the final fix. Therefore, for smiley face, just click the smiley face button on the top right corner of the Word app is ok. The preview of the print within the Word app can show the issue. It’s more related to Word print.

    Regards,

    Rena

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-10-11T14:35:48+00:00

    Rena,

      This has been the most frustrating thing trying to deal with Microsoft to fix this fundamentally, simple and basic problem.  Rena, If you look at my opening post, I already discussed how OneNote 2016 works perfectly when printing to OneNote.  We have used OneNote Desktop version since 2007 and it was a fantastic program and worked perfectly for my users for the last 12+ years.  Now your company made the decision to stop allowing o365 users to install OneNote 2016 from the click-to-run portal on o365.  Thus you FORCED us to use this Windows 10 app which is far inferior.  The second I realized I could no longer install 2016 I then FORCED my users to use Win 10 because with Microsoft stopping support and my inability to easily install 2016 after a computer refresh, I had to get everyone on the same page and using Win 10 version.

    We have gotten used to the Win 10 version despite all of it's shortcomings.  We CANNOT get around this fundamental print problem where your OneNote Print driver is unable to print simple documents correctly without stripping of vital information!

    So FOUR MONTHS AGO I submitted this after trying many times previously to get someone's attention.  FOUR MONTHS LATER, you suggest we use gridlines which do not fix the problem (as our documents are already inside the gridlines) and then you suggest a work around which was stated by me in my opening paragraph.

    Please, please, please get this bug to development and get the patch released on the next app update.

    Please, I beg of you.

    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-10-11T16:34:00+00:00

    Hi Chris,

    I can understand your feeling. As it's going to be weekend, the related team only come back to work next working days, I will strike them and post back as soon as I can. Sorry for the inconvenience again.

    Regards,

    Rena

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments