A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Hi Doug,
Yes, both with my own code as with yours, it's not working.
Here's a video of my result:
Can you see the video?
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have an add-in (dotm template) which is stored in Word's Startup folder. Among other things it contains a customized ribbon.
This works fine, no problems when Word is started from the menu, double clicking a document etc. The add-in is loaded and the customizations in the ribbon are visible.
However if Word is started from VBA within another application (Excel or Access) the customizations in the ribbon do not show. If I check in the Developer tab the Add-in is listed and is selected as well.
Even if I unselected it (unload) and select (load) it again from the interface, the customized ribbon does not show.
This worked fine in Office 2010 with the exact same Excel VBA code and the same add-in.
Why does it not work in Office 2016?
Version 1904
Build 11601.20178
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi Doug,
Yes, both with my own code as with yours, it's not working.
Here's a video of my result:
Can you see the video?
Yes, I see the video.
I also note that you are using 32 bit Office and just testing here on a 32 bit version of Office, I do see the same thing - the add-in is loaded per the Templates and Add-ins dialog, but the ribbon customization does not appear. However, if you uncheck and then re-check the box for the Add-in in the Templates and Add-ins dialog, the ribbon customization does then appear. Note, it is just the ribbon customization that does not appear as the macros in the Add-in are available under Developer>Macros and can be run from that dialog.
If you are using a 64-bit version of Windows, I would recommend that you change to a 64-bit version of Office, which is what the developers now recommend (previously, it was not recommended unless required because you were running very large, very complex Excel workbooks.
I do notice something different about Word when it is started by running VBA code - the actual Office Product is not displayed under File Account>Product Information
But when it is started manually, it displays
Hi Doug,
Thanks again.
Unfortunately this is not a matter of me changing versions. This add-in is used by one of my customers with >1000 systems. They're not going to change their Office version any time soon.
It's not only the custom ribbon that is not working, but the add-in also contains some autoexec code which is not executed as well when Word is started from automation.
I am planning to test tomorrow to see if changing to an application event might solve that.
I also see the difference in the Account screen. Not showing a version when automation is used.
I can see the same behaviour in Word 2016 64bits, not loading customizations and not executing an autoexec procedure.
Adding to the discussion...
I am running a 32-bit version of Office and having no problems with the Merge Tools Add-In or the temporary one that I gave a link to.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0r1ltecxo8688c6/testB...
So, it is not the 32-bit/64-bit distinction.
I can confirm that ribbon customizations don't show up when Word is started using Automation, although the add-in appears to be loaded.
I'm using Word 2019 32-bit (in Office 2019 Professional Plus) on Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Both are fully updated.
- Word started manually.
- Word started using Automation from Excel.
You can report this problem to Microsoft using File > Feedback > Send a Frown.
This is not what I am seeing using Office 365 with the same build. They will load and operate. I will be able to try with an Office 2016 installation on Sunday.