Word addin not loaded when application is started with VBA from within Excel

Anonymous
2019-05-17T11:20:39+00:00

I have an add-in (dotm template) which is stored in Word's Startup folder. Among other things it contains a customized ribbon.

This works fine, no problems when Word is started from the menu, double clicking a document etc. The add-in is loaded and the customizations in the ribbon are visible.

However if Word is started from VBA within another application (Excel or Access) the customizations in the ribbon do not show. If I check in the Developer tab the Add-in is listed and is selected as well.

Even if I unselected it (unload) and select (load) it again from the interface, the customized ribbon does not show.

This worked fine in Office 2010 with the exact same Excel VBA code and the same add-in.

Why does it not work in Office 2016? 

Version 1904

Build 11601.20178

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-05-17T22:17:47+00:00

    This is what I see (the Merge Tools tab from my Merge Tools Add-in) when Word - Version 1904 (Build 11601.20178) is started by using the following code in Excel

    On Error Resume Next

    Set wdApp = GetObject(, "Word.Application")

    If Err Then

        bstartApp = True

        Set wdApp = CreateObject("Word.Application")

    End If

    On Error GoTo 0

    wdApp.Visible = True

    How was the ribbon customization created?  Was it done by the use of the Custom UI Editor?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-05-17T15:52:43+00:00

    Thanks for your assistance and the crosspost Charles!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-05-17T15:47:50+00:00

    Hi Hans,

    Thank you for confirming!

    I also found that starting Word from the commandline with a switch, for example 

    winword.exe /t "path and filename"

    results in the same behaviour.

    Customizations don't show up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-05-17T15:28:49+00:00

    I can confirm that ribbon customizations don't show up when Word is started using Automation, although the add-in appears to be loaded.

    I'm using Word 2019 32-bit (in Office 2019 Professional Plus) on Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Both are fully updated.

    1. Word started manually.
    2. Word started using Automation from Excel.

    You can report this problem to Microsoft using File > Feedback > Send a Frown.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-05-17T14:55:54+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments