Word addin not loaded when application is started with VBA from within Excel

Anonymous
2019-05-17T11:20:39+00:00

I have an add-in (dotm template) which is stored in Word's Startup folder. Among other things it contains a customized ribbon.

This works fine, no problems when Word is started from the menu, double clicking a document etc. The add-in is loaded and the customizations in the ribbon are visible.

However if Word is started from VBA within another application (Excel or Access) the customizations in the ribbon do not show. If I check in the Developer tab the Add-in is listed and is selected as well.

Even if I unselected it (unload) and select (load) it again from the interface, the customized ribbon does not show.

This worked fine in Office 2010 with the exact same Excel VBA code and the same add-in.

Why does it not work in Office 2016? 

Version 1904

Build 11601.20178

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-05-18T01:19:01+00:00

    Yes, I see the video. 

    I also note that you are using 32 bit Office and just testing here on a 32 bit version of Office, I do see the same thing - the add-in is loaded per the Templates and Add-ins dialog, but the ribbon customization does not appear.  However, if you uncheck and then re-check the box for the Add-in in the Templates and Add-ins dialog, the ribbon customization does then appear.  Note, it is just the ribbon customization that does not appear as the macros in the Add-in are available under Developer>Macros and can be run from that dialog.

    If you are using a 64-bit version of Windows, I would recommend that you change to a 64-bit version of Office, which is what the developers now recommend (previously, it was not recommended unless required because you were running very large, very complex Excel workbooks.

    I do notice something different about Word when it is started by running VBA code - the actual Office Product is not displayed under File Account>Product Information

    But when it is started manually, it displays

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-05-18T00:37:44+00:00

    Hi Doug,

    Yes, both with my own code as with yours, it's not working.

    Here's a video of my result:

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tq0dne4xvl63z2d/Windows%2010%20x64%20Office%202016%2032bit%20-%20VMware%20Workstation%2018-5-2019%2002\_18\_46.mp4?dl=0

    Can you see the video?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-05-17T23:56:54+00:00

    Was that using the code that I gave to start Word?

    Here's a video of the process running here

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aPryShN22KvoI1C-WuOfbJOp2GG\_rKEO/view?usp=sharing

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-05-17T23:10:14+00:00

    Hi Doug,

    I downloaded your Merge Tools Addin (MergeTools - 20180219.dotm) and saved it in the Startup folder. I deleted my own add-in, so your file was the only add-in to load.

    • I started Word manually and the Merge Tools tab at the end of the ribbon was visible.
    • I closed Word and run the code from Excel. Unfortunately same result, no Merge Tools tab in the ribbon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-05-17T22:20:21+00:00

    HI Doug,

    Yes, I created the customization with the Custom UI Editor.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments