Word addin not loaded when application is started with VBA from within Excel

Anonymous
2019-05-17T11:20:39+00:00

I have an add-in (dotm template) which is stored in Word's Startup folder. Among other things it contains a customized ribbon.

This works fine, no problems when Word is started from the menu, double clicking a document etc. The add-in is loaded and the customizations in the ribbon are visible.

However if Word is started from VBA within another application (Excel or Access) the customizations in the ribbon do not show. If I check in the Developer tab the Add-in is listed and is selected as well.

Even if I unselected it (unload) and select (load) it again from the interface, the customized ribbon does not show.

This worked fine in Office 2010 with the exact same Excel VBA code and the same add-in.

Why does it not work in Office 2016? 

Version 1904

Build 11601.20178

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-05-18T12:10:01+00:00

    Hi Astrid,

    I have just installed 64-bit Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2019 - Version 1904 (Build 11601.20204 Click-to-Run) and can confirm that when started by running the code that I had posted earlier in Excel, the Ribbon Customizations in an Add-in are NOT loaded.

    Thus, there is a difference between the behaviours in the 64-bit installation of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2019 and that in a 64-bit installation of Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus,

    p.s. I had not realised that you were no longer an MVP.  However I will report this via the NDA mailing list.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-05-18T11:12:10+00:00

    Hi Charles,

    I do know the difference between Office 365 and stand alone versions.

    I thought ProPlus was used as the description in the Account screen for 365 licenses. Is this not the case?

    As a former Word MVP myself, I understand how the reporting to Microsoft works. I do hope you all report it to your contacts in MS.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Charles Kenyon 171.2K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2019-05-18T11:00:28+00:00

    ProPlus = Professional Plus

    however

    365 is not the same as 2016 or even 2019

    The first is a subscription product that is constantly being changed/tweaked. 2016 and 2019 are perpetual license products.

    My 365 Home (University) was the same build as you originally posted. It has since been updated and is now version 1904 - build 11601.20204 Click-to-Run.

    I just looked at the 2016 Professional Plus (HUP) and it is version 1905. I have not yet checked for this problem on that computer. I will do so tonight.

    Since others are replicating your problem I think it is definitely something for MS to be dealing with. Since they are MVPs, Hans, Doug, Paul, and Stefan all have access to back-channel contacts at MS and I suspect one or more of them will raise the issue.

    I again suggest that you attempt to load multiple Add-Ins and see if that makes any difference. I will be back here tonight.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-05-18T09:22:34+00:00

    I think you might be right and this could very well be an indicator for the changes we're seeing. ProPlus versus Professional Plus.

    All the versions I've tried with are Professional Plus (both 2016 32 and 64 bits as 2019 32 and 64 bits). I do not have 365 ProPlus available at this moment, so I can't try it there.

    Hans mentioned in his post that he had tested on a Professional Plus version as well (32 bits).

    Do you have the possibility to test in a 64 bits version of Professional Plus?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-05-18T08:32:25+00:00

    While I do not experience the issue with 64-bit installation of  Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus (Subscription Product) - Version 1904 (Build 11601.20204 Click-to-Run), I do experience it with the same Versions and builds of:

    32-bit Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus (Subcription Product)

    32-bit Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2019

    Charles, what type of Office installation are you running?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments