Word addin not loaded when application is started with VBA from within Excel

Anonymous
2019-05-17T11:20:39+00:00

I have an add-in (dotm template) which is stored in Word's Startup folder. Among other things it contains a customized ribbon.

This works fine, no problems when Word is started from the menu, double clicking a document etc. The add-in is loaded and the customizations in the ribbon are visible.

However if Word is started from VBA within another application (Excel or Access) the customizations in the ribbon do not show. If I check in the Developer tab the Add-in is listed and is selected as well.

Even if I unselected it (unload) and select (load) it again from the interface, the customized ribbon does not show.

This worked fine in Office 2010 with the exact same Excel VBA code and the same add-in.

Why does it not work in Office 2016? 

Version 1904

Build 11601.20178

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-05-19T00:21:00+00:00
    Version Automation not working correctly: <br><br>no ribbon customizations, no autoexec
    Office 2016 Professional Plus 32 bits problem exists
    Office 2016 Professional Plus 64 bits problem exists
    Office 365 ProPlus 32 bits - Subscription Product problem exists
    Office 365 ProPlus 64 bits - Subscription Product is working ok
    Office 365 University 32 bits - Subscription Product is working ok (per Charles Kenyon)
    Office 2019 Professional Plus 32 bits problem exists
    Office 2019 Professional Plus 64 bits problem exists

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-05-18T23:54:10+00:00

    Hi Astrid,

    There is really only one.  ProPlus is an Office 365 Subscription Product and Microsoft no longer refer to it with a year designation (that is neither 2016 nor 2019)

    So your table should be:

    Version Automation not working correctly: <br><br>no ribbon customizations, no autoexec
    Office 2016 Professional Plus 32 bits problem exists
    Office 2016 Professional Plus 64 bits problem exists
    Office 365 ProPlus (365) 32 bits - Subscription Product problem exists
    Office 365 ProPlus (365) 64 bits - Subscription Product is working ok
    Office 2019 Professional Plus 32 bits problem exists
    Office 2019 Professional Plus 64 bits problem exists

    I am not sure what the situation is with the other Office 365 Subscription Products such as

    Office 365 Home

    Office 365 Personal

    Office 365 Business

    Office 365 Business Premium

    I have Office 365 University (which originally installed using the Home code) in 32 bits.

    The modifications load fine through the code listed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-05-18T23:51:15+00:00

    Hi Charles,

    I do know the difference between Office 365 and stand alone versions.

    I thought ProPlus was used as the description in the Account screen for 365 licenses. Is this not the case?

    As a former Word MVP myself, I understand how the reporting to Microsoft works. I do hope you all report it to your contacts in MS.

    Thanks.

    Ah, you are that Astrid. I am still using a fair amount of your code snippets. I again thank you for your help in the past.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-05-18T22:35:29+00:00

    Hi Astrid,

    There is really only one.  ProPlus is an Office 365 Subscription Product and Microsoft no longer refer to it with a year designation (that is neither 2016 nor 2019)

    So your table should be:

    Version Automation not working correctly: <br><br>no ribbon customizations, no autoexec
    Office 2016 Professional Plus 32 bits problem exists
    Office 2016 Professional Plus 64 bits problem exists
    Office 365 ProPlus (365) 32 bits - Subscription Product problem exists
    Office 365 ProPlus (365) 64 bits - Subscription Product is working ok
    Office 2019 Professional Plus 32 bits problem exists
    Office 2019 Professional Plus 64 bits problem exists

    I am not sure what the situation is with the other Office 365 Subscription Products such as

    Office 365 Home

    Office 365 Personal

    Office 365 Business

    Office 365 Business Premium

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-05-18T13:02:08+00:00

    Thank you Doug!

    Seems like we are getting closer to where the problem might be.

    Is this the correct recap?

    Version Automation not working correctly: <br><br>no ribbon customizations, no autoexec
    Office 2016 Professional Plus 32 bits problem exists
    Office 2016 Professional Plus 64 bits problem exists
    Office 2016 ProPlus (365) 32 bits problem exists
    Office 2016 ProPlus (365) 64 bits is working ok
    Office 2019 Professional Plus 32 bits problem exists
    Office 2019 Professional Plus 64 bits problem exists
    Office 2019 ProPlus (365) 32 bits ?
    Office 2019 ProPlus (365) 64 bits ?

    I am not really sure if there are two official versions for Office 365 ProPlus for both 2016 and 2019, or is there only one?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments