Word addin not loaded when application is started with VBA from within Excel

Anonymous
2019-05-17T11:20:39+00:00

I have an add-in (dotm template) which is stored in Word's Startup folder. Among other things it contains a customized ribbon.

This works fine, no problems when Word is started from the menu, double clicking a document etc. The add-in is loaded and the customizations in the ribbon are visible.

However if Word is started from VBA within another application (Excel or Access) the customizations in the ribbon do not show. If I check in the Developer tab the Add-in is listed and is selected as well.

Even if I unselected it (unload) and select (load) it again from the interface, the customized ribbon does not show.

This worked fine in Office 2010 with the exact same Excel VBA code and the same add-in.

Why does it not work in Office 2016? 

Version 1904

Build 11601.20178

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-05-17T15:47:50+00:00

    Hi Hans,

    Thank you for confirming!

    I also found that starting Word from the commandline with a switch, for example 

    winword.exe /t "path and filename"

    results in the same behaviour.

    Customizations don't show up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-05-17T15:28:49+00:00

    I can confirm that ribbon customizations don't show up when Word is started using Automation, although the add-in appears to be loaded.

    I'm using Word 2019 32-bit (in Office 2019 Professional Plus) on Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Both are fully updated.

    1. Word started manually.
    2. Word started using Automation from Excel.

    You can report this problem to Microsoft using File > Feedback > Send a Frown.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-05-17T14:55:54+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-05-17T14:37:50+00:00

    I am not able to replicate here.

    • Word closed.
    • Ran my code from Excel.

    There are other Add-Ins that load earlier.

    It may be the other Add-Ins loaded first. They are loaded in alphabetical order.

    The arrow is to the one with your code.

    I am due in court and may not be back online until this evening. This weekend, I will try it on my system running 2016.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-05-17T13:44:46+00:00

    Thanks.

    I can reproduce under very simple circumstances:

    • Create a dotm with no code
    • Add the following xml:

    <customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui"

              xmlns:NsPROJECT="PROJECT Namespace">

      <ribbon startFromScratch="false">

        <tabs>

          <tab

          idQ="NsPROJECT:rxtabPROJECTHome"

          insertAfterMso="TabHome"

          label="TEST TAB">

            <group

             idQ="NsPROJECT:rxgrpPROJECTGeneral"

             label="TEST GROUP">

              <toggleButton idMso="ParagraphMarks" size="large"   />

            </group>

          </tab>

        </tabs>

      </ribbon>

    </customUI>

    • Use the code you provided for the Excel file
    • If I try this, the ribbon customizations don't show

    Can you reproduce this?

    I am very sure this has nothing to do with the normal.dotm since I reproduced on three different systems: Word 2016 32 bit, Word 16 64 bit and Word 2019 64 bit. All with their own normal.dotm

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments