Cannot add new item to list

Anonymous
2019-12-05T04:03:45+00:00

Hi guys,

OK I have been using the bundled database "Asset Tracking" to keep track of one of my collections. I have an Office 365 Home subscription. I've been successfully using this for a few months and currently have over 500 assets in the database.

As I add a new item to this database there is a field called "location". Every time I add a new location that's not already in the list it asks me if I want to add it, I say "yes", then I add it and go about my merry way.

This no longer works. 

Now when I type in the new list item and hit TAB (as I've done 100 times before) when I get to the point where I click on OK it tells me again that the location is not in the list and do I want to add it? 

So let's say that I just added "Belfast" it shows me the list of locations that are already in the list with Belfast at the bottom, then just above it is an entry called "B". Nothing I do will let me actually successfully add a new Location. I delete Belfast and B from the list (by dropping down the list, right clicking and select "edit list items") which does seem to delete both items, but when I go to add it again the exact same thing happens. I have a the same issue no matter which city I try to add so it's not a B or a Belfast thing. 

Tech support won't help me and my database is now useless if I can't keep adding new locations to choose from when adding assets. 

I've tried "Compact and Repair Database" to no avail. Tech support via chat was useless and suggested I try an online repair which just downloaded and reinstalled the program. This hasn't helped. Same problem. It seems the location field has somehow gotten corrupted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-12-14T00:51:50+00:00

    Ok this just keeps getting weirder and weirder. I went to my Onedrive to make a sharable link (this is where my Office 365 apps all save to by default) and see this:

    So it seems only one of the backups has been updated recently. But when I open Access and tell it what to open I see this:

    It doesn't show me opening one of the backup versions that has the date appended to it. So how should I know it's not opening the file with no date appended?

    The good news is that I may have an older version of the original file from before I screwed it up. Check this out:

    I'm hoping this means I can open an older version of the database from before I screwed it up? If so, how?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-12-14T00:19:52+00:00

    As far as I can see from your screenshot the form should save a row to the Assets table if you close the form, move to another record, including an empty new record, or otherwise explicitly save the record

    If you'd like us to take a look at the file you can post a copy, stripped of any personal or otherwise sensitive data, to a site such as Microsoft's OneDrive, and post back here with the link.  Usually we can do so free of charge, but if the work involved would be beyond that, I'm long since retired and don't undertake commercial work any longer, but I believe Scott does.

    If you'd rather not put the file in the public domain, I'd be prepared to accept it by email at kenwsheridan<at>yahoo<dot>co<dot>uk, but I prefer not to receive files directly if it can be avoided.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-12-13T23:53:37+00:00

    Sorry I sent the wrong screenshot. Here is what you needed to see. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-12-13T23:15:30+00:00

    The only thing I can think of is that at one point, if you look at my screenshots from December 10, you'll see that I had a table open called "Copy of assets". Could my updates be updating the copy instead of the one I'm currently working on?

    Only if that table is the form's RecordSource property, or is included in a query which is the form's RecordSource property.  So the first place to look is the Data tab of the form's properties sheet, to see what its RecordSource property is.  If it’s a query, the property might be the name of a saved query, or the SQL statement of an unsaved query, so if it's the former you'll need to look at the query design to see which table or tables it includes.  If in doubt copy the query's SQL statement into a reply here, for us to take a look at.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-12-13T22:56:30+00:00

    Hi Ken,

    Thanks for taking the time to continue helping me but it seems I've got bigger issues. While I'm not getting any error messages any longer, I tried going in and adding a new record. It seems to be working just fine (at least I'm not getting any errors) but when I go in and look for the new record I just added there is nothing there. So  it seems my table is not getting updated though I get no indication that it's not working. Where should I start looking to see what's going on? What might I have changed. The only thing I can think of is that at one point, if you look at my screenshots from December 10, you'll see that I had a table open called "Copy of assets". Could my updates be updating the copy instead of the one I'm currently working on? I doubt it because that's the one that I would have open also, right? Damn I wish I had made a backup before I started screwing with things a week or so ago! Arghhh!! 

    OK, so I've done some further testing. I opened the table "assets" and manually added a new record to it. Then I went into my form and searched for the record but it's not there, I went back to the table to verify it's still there, and it is, but it doesn't appear in my database. So it would seem that I'm not pulling from the table I should be. Here is a screenshot showing where it is pulling from, and you can see that the table is open in a separate tab. It appears to be pointing to the open table, but it's not showing me the newly added item that I added to that table. Any ideas?

    If worse comes to worse I'd be willing to email the database to someone (Ken, Scottgem) and have them repair it and make my needed changes for a fee (PayPal) if someone is willing to do this I would appreciate it. I just need this to work PLEASE!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments