Invalid notebook name error - Microsoft OneNote

Anonymous
2019-04-17T16:37:36+00:00

I get the above error when I try to create a new blank notebook. I checked to make sure I am logged into my Microsoft Account, and have tried all variations I can think of like adding more words, separating the words with underscore, or dash lines. There is not button on the form to get more details about the error or what the fix would be. What should I do?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-04-17T16:58:59+00:00

Hi, I'm Roberta, a Microsoft Advisor and I'm here to help and assist you!

Did you try to repair Onenote?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair...

Hope this helps!

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-06-06T14:01:12+00:00

    Hi,

    My IT department has confirmed this.  Thanks for replying.  Thank goodness for the online version of OneNote.

    Adam

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-06-13T20:09:31+00:00

    I had the same issue where I could not create a Notebook because it said there is an invalid Notebook name.  I signed out of my personal account, and am only signed in with my Office 365 account and then it allowed me to create the Notebook.  Perhaps it is because my office suite license is under Office 365?  In any case, there is definitely an issue with Microsoft OneNote not giving a valid error message.  The error has nothing to do with the notebook name.  An error message such as "Cannot create a Notebook using this Microsoft Account because...." would be alot more helpful

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-06-13T23:53:17+00:00

    Hi,

    Same issue. This did not work. It states "this user is not a one note business user"...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-06-14T00:27:44+00:00

    I spoke to soon.  After doing as described above it started creating the Notebook with the spinning disk, but then failed again.

    Time for Microsoft to identify a real solution other than the standard "run repair"...  Just reading this thread shows there is a fundamental OneNote issue somewhere. This makes OneNote unusable, time to google for an alternative...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments