Invalid notebook name error - Microsoft OneNote

Anonymous
2019-04-17T16:37:36+00:00

I get the above error when I try to create a new blank notebook. I checked to make sure I am logged into my Microsoft Account, and have tried all variations I can think of like adding more words, separating the words with underscore, or dash lines. There is not button on the form to get more details about the error or what the fix would be. What should I do?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-04-17T16:58:59+00:00

Hi, I'm Roberta, a Microsoft Advisor and I'm here to help and assist you!

Did you try to repair Onenote?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair...

Hope this helps!

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-07-29T07:42:45+00:00

    For each notebook a file with the same name as the notebook is created on OneDrive, by default in the folder 'Documents'.

    What file type ?

    Bernd

    I don't know, these file names are shown without an extension. R-clicking gives you the option to get details, which show the file type as 'Microsoft OneNote Notebook'.

    To the best of my knowledge this is the only file that contains the complete notebook data. I assume it is also used by the 'Export notebook' function, available after R-clicking on one of the notebooks in the list on www.onenote.com, which I use to create a backup file on a local hard disk...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-07-29T19:03:29+00:00

    Add me to the list of users with this problem.  Repair or reset didn't work.  Signing out and back in didn't work.  Re-installing didn't work.  This needs a resolution fast.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-08-01T08:40:34+00:00

    First comment - Very disappointed with this app - which has such a good potential. 

    Secondly - The repair/re-install did not work. 

    Finally - Handling errors and exception with a proper human readable information is the first thing one learns in a coding school. 

    Error - Showing Invalid notebook name, with no information about what is the correct format of the name, this is beyond my understanding! 

    It should be such an easy fix on this app, and people are leaving in frustration when this app could have been used on an every day basis. 

    FIX IT or ATLEAST FIX your ERROR DISPLAY !!!!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-08-02T13:28:29+00:00

    I have this same issues - has it been resolved? I've repaired and re-installed but it still says invalid notebook name.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments