Invalid notebook name error - Microsoft OneNote

Anonymous
2019-04-17T16:37:36+00:00

I get the above error when I try to create a new blank notebook. I checked to make sure I am logged into my Microsoft Account, and have tried all variations I can think of like adding more words, separating the words with underscore, or dash lines. There is not button on the form to get more details about the error or what the fix would be. What should I do?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-04-17T16:58:59+00:00

Hi, I'm Roberta, a Microsoft Advisor and I'm here to help and assist you!

Did you try to repair Onenote?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair...

Hope this helps!

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-04-17T17:02:50+00:00

    Does it say why it is an invalid name? I know spaces at the end of the name will trigger an invalid name error, but it brings up a dialog listing invalid characters:

    [name] isn't a valid file name. File names can't have any of these characters: ? * /: < > |&#"%

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-04-17T17:45:05+00:00

    Repair fixed it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-04-22T13:54:50+00:00

    I get the above error when I try to create a new blank notebook. I checked to make sure I am logged into my Microsoft Account, and have tried all variations I can think of like adding more words, separating the words with underscore, or dash lines. There is not button on the form to get more details about the error or what the fix would be. What should I do?

    I am having the same problem with the "invalid notebook name". Do you know when this issue may be fixed?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-04-22T14:07:36+00:00

    Christina

    I used the repair option, and that addressed my issue. I am not able to create notebooks, and everything else. Go to settings > apps > OneNote and click on OneNote and the link right under it called advanced options. In the next window that comes up, click on repair.

    Hope that helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments