Invalid notebook name error - Microsoft OneNote

Anonymous
2019-04-17T16:37:36+00:00

I get the above error when I try to create a new blank notebook. I checked to make sure I am logged into my Microsoft Account, and have tried all variations I can think of like adding more words, separating the words with underscore, or dash lines. There is not button on the form to get more details about the error or what the fix would be. What should I do?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-04-17T16:58:59+00:00

Hi, I'm Roberta, a Microsoft Advisor and I'm here to help and assist you!

Did you try to repair Onenote?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair...

Hope this helps!

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-06-05T19:01:45+00:00

    I have a Lenovo P1 extreme laptop with the fancy pen. Double click and it's supposed to save your screen shot to one note. I have Office 365 professional which comes with One Note. However; i have to install this version as well to use the screen shot feature. makes no sense, but whatever. I have the same problem. I can't create a workbook, apparently it's because our stuff is synced to Microsoft and my work doesn't allow our data to be on your servers. which is why this is unsecured, so my company is blocking this feature. Which might be your problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-06-04T17:30:46+00:00

    Hi, I'm Roberta, a Microsoft Advisor and I'm here to help and assist you!

    Did you try to repair Onenote?

    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair...

    Hope this helps!

    Thank you

    Hello Roberta and any other Microsoft Support Personnel - this does not help and this thread is full of people unable to use their product.  Please offer further guidance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-06-04T07:22:33+00:00

    THIS FIXED THE ISSUE! THANKS!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-06-01T03:04:06+00:00

    In my case Repair and rest options did not help. Logging out and logging in to a personal account didn't help either. But strangely the following hack helped.

    I was trying to create a notebook by the name of "Education". That caused an error. Please note I do not have and never had a notebook by that name in any of my accounts.  But when I changed the name of the new notebook "Edication1" , it worked!

    But then, there is no option to rename it! However there is an option to "nickname it" (Right click on the new notebook and select "Nickname Notebook"). So I used that and now the name of the notebook on the screen is what I wanted "Education", but the file name remained "Education1". Its not ideal, but far less troubling than not being able to create a notebook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments