Invalid notebook name error - Microsoft OneNote

Anonymous
2019-04-17T16:37:36+00:00

I get the above error when I try to create a new blank notebook. I checked to make sure I am logged into my Microsoft Account, and have tried all variations I can think of like adding more words, separating the words with underscore, or dash lines. There is not button on the form to get more details about the error or what the fix would be. What should I do?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-04-17T16:58:59+00:00

Hi, I'm Roberta, a Microsoft Advisor and I'm here to help and assist you!

Did you try to repair Onenote?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair...

Hope this helps!

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-07-28T16:48:06+00:00

    For each notebook a file with the same name as the notebook is created on OneDrive, by default in the folder 'Documents'.

    What file type ?

    Bernd

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-07-28T12:46:36+00:00

    In my case Repair and rest options did not help. Logging out and logging in to a personal account didn't help either. But strangely the following hack helped.

    I was trying to create a notebook by the name of "Education". That caused an error. Please note I do not have and never had a notebook by that name in any of my accounts.  But when I changed the name of the new notebook "Edication1" , it worked!

    But then, there is no option to rename it! However there is an option to "nickname it" (Right click on the new notebook and select "Nickname Notebook"). So I used that and now the name of the notebook on the screen is what I wanted "Education", but the file name remained "Education1". Its not ideal, but far less troubling than not being able to create a notebook.

    Hi all, I would like to share my experience, hopefully it is helpful for some of you. I use the app OneNote for Windows 10 and ran into the problem, that specific names for new notebooks could not be used.

    Example:

    Create a new notebook named 'Dragon'. This generates the error message "A notebook with his name already exists. Please enter a different name". This message is incorrect, there is no notebook with this name.

    Now create a new notebook named 'Dragon1'. This name is accepted and there is no error message.

    I think the reason is the following:

    For each notebook a file with the same name as the notebook is created on OneDrive, by default in the folder 'Documents'. These files are hidden in File Explorer, but you can see them on https://onedrive.live.com. Now if the notebook you want to create has the same name ('Dragon' in the example above) as one of the existing subfolders under the OneDrive ‘Documents’ folder, you get the error message.

    I'm trying to figure out how to use a different folder, but I have not found a way to do it yet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-07-27T19:55:31+00:00

    I have the same problem.  repair didn't work.  very disappointed i can't use this app.  please fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-07-26T12:19:20+00:00

    There were two icons, my IT Dept. Removed one and the other instantly worked. It's the 2016 version it doesn't have the new things like the other but it does what I need.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments