A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Hi jacsdad,
Thanks for your feedback, we will keep monitoring on this case.
Regards,
Alex Chen
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have been using the same excel spreadsheet for over a year, without any problems. For the past coupe of days, a column I have formatted as Number/Special/Zip Code, places an error (triangle in the upper left corner of most cells (but not all) in that column only.
I go to the Excel Preferences/Error Ckecking and remove the checkmark in the 'Turn on background error checking' and the error indicator disappears until I shutdown and reboot (I can file the document and open it again, without problems).
This is on an iMac (Retina 5k 2017), running the macOS Mohave Version 10.14 with Office 365 with Microsoft Excel for Mac Version 16.17.
Any suggestions would be appreciated...
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi jacsdad,
Thanks for your feedback, we will keep monitoring on this case.
Regards,
Alex Chen
After a few days working without the error, it began again on 121.2019. Due to some of the sensitive information in the original workbook, I created a new one from scratch with only the zip codes 0n 12/01.
Each day, I would check both the original and the new and eco had the error indicated. I then changed the Preference (unchecking the Turn on error checking). Within each, after shutting down and restarting, the Error Checking would be rechecked automatically.
Hi Jacsdad,
Thanks for clarifying your situation, so currently you have the following 2 issues.
1.For some reasons, the error indicator will suddenly show up on some of your cells which are formatted as Zip Code.
To proceed on this issue, we would need a copy of your sample workbook, in order to protect your personal information, we don’t recommend sharing your OneDrive link in the thread, please send this sample workbook to us via Private Message.
2.When you uncheck Turn on background error checking in Excel's preference setting, it would be automatically rechecked after restarting your Mac.
As Jim also mentioned in his reply, this issue could be caused by the corrupted user profile, please refer to Create a new user profile to create a new user on your Mac, check if the changes applied to Excel preference settings could stick under this new user profile. Let us know the result.
Disclaimer: Microsoft provides no assurances and/or warranties, implied or otherwise, and is not responsible for the information you receive from the third-party linked sites or any support related to technology.
Since this case has been last for a long time, please provide us with your current MacOS version and your Office version.
Meanwhile, your image failed to upload, please upload it again by clicking the insert image button.
Thanks for your cooperation.
Regards,
Alex Chen
Thanks...
#1. when I attach the file (use Insert Image, cannot find Attach file), all I get is a ?. Not sure what I am doing wrong. .
The file is an xlsx format.
#2. I contacted Apple support and they walked me through setting up a Test User. The same condition exists (error indicator) with the Test ID on the same file.
Over the holiday, I did a few things to see if they would resolve the issue. They did not.
I removed all 3rd party software (these are the only apps installed), including Office 365. Adobe Creative Cloud, Malwarebytes and CleanMyMac. I went through and removed any plist's associated with these apps. Once complete:
If you can tell me how to get the file too you, I will do so.
Hi Jacsdad,
Please click on the following link.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessage/thread?id=1dfb135d-2097-4671-9df0-503f11f87396
This will lead you to the Private Message web page. You could send us the sample workbook there.
Also, please check: Will Turn on background error checking automatically rechecked every time you restart your Mac under the Test User?
Regards,
Alex Chen