Error checking in Excel

Anonymous
2018-10-01T12:44:25+00:00

I have been using the same excel spreadsheet for over a year, without any problems.  For the past coupe of days, a column I have formatted as Number/Special/Zip Code, places an error (triangle in the upper left corner of most cells (but not all) in that column only.   

I go to the Excel Preferences/Error Ckecking and remove the checkmark in the 'Turn on background error checking' and the error indicator disappears until I shutdown and reboot (I can file the document and open it again, without problems).

This is on an iMac (Retina 5k 2017), running the macOS Mohave Version 10.14 with Office 365 with Microsoft Excel for Mac Version 16.17.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-23T20:36:46+00:00

    Mr. Chen... thanks for your help and guidance.  Last week, when the new version 16.18, I uninstalled Excel and reinstalled it.  It has been running flawlessly ever since.

    Thanks again...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-24T10:14:53+00:00

    Hi Jascdad,

    Good to know that, if you encounter any Office issue in the future, feel free to post in this community.

    We will be here for help.

    Regards,

    Alex Chen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-11-12T20:55:36+00:00

    Alex... it is happening again.  Can you send me a private message so I can send you the details?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
    2018-11-14T15:17:20+00:00

    Version 16.19 is now available as the general release build. Install updates to get it. Try it and then please reply with the results. Thanks.

    INSTALL UPDATES :

    Ensure your Mac and Office have the latest updates. Here’s how to install updates:

    Make sure your Mac has a working internet connection, then:

    1. Update Mac OS X. Open the App store and click on the Updates button. Install the updates.

    **2.**After, in any Office application go to the Help menu and choose Check for Updates to launch the AutoUpdate app. Let AutoUpdate install updates and then restart your Mac.

    If you use Antidote, Webex, Silverlight, EndNote, Zotero, Suitcase, 3^rd^ party font management tools or other add-ins there is a potential for crashes unless you also update your add-ins to the latest update. Install updates for these programs if you have them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-11-14T15:41:29+00:00

    Mr. Gordon... I installed the updates earlier this morning and the Error Checking  indicators did not show (and it did not change in the Preferences).  In the past, sometimes it takes a few days for the situation to occur again, so I plan to leave this open fr a week or so.

    Thanks for your response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments