Error checking in Excel

Anonymous
2018-10-01T12:44:25+00:00

I have been using the same excel spreadsheet for over a year, without any problems.  For the past coupe of days, a column I have formatted as Number/Special/Zip Code, places an error (triangle in the upper left corner of most cells (but not all) in that column only.   

I go to the Excel Preferences/Error Ckecking and remove the checkmark in the 'Turn on background error checking' and the error indicator disappears until I shutdown and reboot (I can file the document and open it again, without problems).

This is on an iMac (Retina 5k 2017), running the macOS Mohave Version 10.14 with Office 365 with Microsoft Excel for Mac Version 16.17.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-01T12:54:30+00:00

    Dear user,

    Please try the suggestions from this article https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/975724...

    Please share the results!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-01T15:41:36+00:00

    The instructions described are for the Mac OSX Yosemite version and the file Com.microsoft.officeprefs.plist is nowhere in the Group Container.  I am running macOS Mohave Version 10.14, so I am apprehensive about using outdated instructions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-01T16:34:34+00:00

    Dear Jacsdad,

    Could you please share the screenshot of error that you are getting?

    Please check for updates https://support.office.com/en-us/article/troubl...

    Looking forward to your reply!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-03T05:48:19+00:00

    Hi Jacsdad,

    Per your description, when you uncheck "Turn on background error checking" the error indicator disappears. But when you reboot your iMac, this issue repeat.

    Does this mean the "Turn on background error checking" will be enable automatically after you reboot your iMac? If so, please follow the steps below:

    1.Quit all of the Office applications.

    2.Open Finder, go to ~/Library/Preferences, locate the files com.microsoft.Excel.plist and com.microsoft.Office.plist, move them to the Desktop.

    3.Open Excel, uncheck "Turn on background error checking" and restart your iMac check the result.

    To help us understand your situation better, please provide us with the following information:

    1.Please move your cursor to the error indicator and take a screenshot of the error message.

    2.Since you have mentioned, you have been work with this spreadsheet without problem for a long time, could you recall any changes you have made before this issue happen?

    If it's convenient for you, could you sent us this spreadsheet via PM, we will try our best to help you fix the problem.

    Regards,

    Alex Chen

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-10-03T13:28:36+00:00

    Thanks for you response.  I removed the plist and unchecked the Turn on background error checking' and rebooted.  The problem was resolved.

    I then rebooted 3 additional times and dcheckmark in the 'Turn on background error checking' and the error indicator, did not return.

    Thanks for your help...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments