Error checking in Excel

Anonymous
2018-10-01T12:44:25+00:00

I have been using the same excel spreadsheet for over a year, without any problems.  For the past coupe of days, a column I have formatted as Number/Special/Zip Code, places an error (triangle in the upper left corner of most cells (but not all) in that column only.   

I go to the Excel Preferences/Error Ckecking and remove the checkmark in the 'Turn on background error checking' and the error indicator disappears until I shutdown and reboot (I can file the document and open it again, without problems).

This is on an iMac (Retina 5k 2017), running the macOS Mohave Version 10.14 with Office 365 with Microsoft Excel for Mac Version 16.17.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-10T01:52:36+00:00

    Hi Jacsdad,

    We are really sorry for this issue keeps bothering you.

    if it persist in the next Office updates, please let us know, we will be here for help.

    Regards,

    Alex Chen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-09T11:39:31+00:00

    The problem comes and goes but is no longer consistent (each time I reboot).  When the next version comes out, I will update all the Office products and see what happens.

    I will post my results then.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-05T10:30:39+00:00

    Hi Jacsdad,

    I would like to confirm with you if the "Turn on background error checking" is enabled automatically again?

    Please try upload this workbook to OneDrive and open it in Excel Online and check if the error indicator keep show up.

    Meanwhile, please put your cursor on the left little triangle and click on the caution icon, the reason why this error indicator show up will be listed at here. This will be a great help for us to investigate on this problem.

    Also, I want to mention: disable "Turn on background error checking" permanently isn't the best way to solve the problem, we may also focus on the format of this workbook. So if it's convenient for you, please sent us this spreadsheet via PM.

    Regards,

    Alex Chen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Anonymous
    2018-10-04T13:40:39+00:00

    The results show it is set for Zip Code:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments