Error checking in Excel

Anonymous
2018-10-01T12:44:25+00:00

I have been using the same excel spreadsheet for over a year, without any problems.  For the past coupe of days, a column I have formatted as Number/Special/Zip Code, places an error (triangle in the upper left corner of most cells (but not all) in that column only.   

I go to the Excel Preferences/Error Ckecking and remove the checkmark in the 'Turn on background error checking' and the error indicator disappears until I shutdown and reboot (I can file the document and open it again, without problems).

This is on an iMac (Retina 5k 2017), running the macOS Mohave Version 10.14 with Office 365 with Microsoft Excel for Mac Version 16.17.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-11-12T20:55:36+00:00

    Alex... it is happening again.  Can you send me a private message so I can send you the details?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-24T10:14:53+00:00

    Hi Jascdad,

    Good to know that, if you encounter any Office issue in the future, feel free to post in this community.

    We will be here for help.

    Regards,

    Alex Chen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-23T20:36:46+00:00

    Mr. Chen... thanks for your help and guidance.  Last week, when the new version 16.18, I uninstalled Excel and reinstalled it.  It has been running flawlessly ever since.

    Thanks again...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-12T12:21:29+00:00

    Hi Jascdad,

    These plist files will be created automatically when you open the related Office Product.

    Since these files store your preferences, Office updates won't change these plist files.

    So if you want to perform a clean environment to install the Office update, we would recommend you first completely uninstall your current Office product following this article. And download the latest version of the Office installation package in your Portal.

    Meanwhile, you can check the newest Office updates and download them at Update history for Office for Mac.

    Regards,

    Alex Chen

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-10-11T13:06:48+00:00

    Good Morning... when the new version becomes available, I would like to install the updates in as clean of an environment as I can.  

    In an earlier conversation, it was recommended to remove the ~/Library/Preferences, locate the files com.microsoft.Excel.plist and com.microsoft.Office.plist.  This cleaned up the situation for a while.

    The Excel plist has moved to ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Excel/Data/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Excel.plist.  Is this location I should delete it from? 

    For the Office plist should I delete all references found in ~/Library/Preference/

    com.microsoft.office.plist

    com.microsoft.office.plist.09y6DwL

    com.microsoft.office.plist.bL3SnNP

    com.microsoft.office.plist.e2hHRM8

    com.microsoft.office.plist.eOtKZ4Y

    com.microsoft.office.plist.JjAhvH5

    com.microsoft.office.plist.LNPP2BY

    com.microsoft.office.plist.M7ZNCQr

    Are there any other files I should remove?

    Thanks ahead of time...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments