Error checking in Excel

Anonymous
2018-10-01T12:44:25+00:00

I have been using the same excel spreadsheet for over a year, without any problems.  For the past coupe of days, a column I have formatted as Number/Special/Zip Code, places an error (triangle in the upper left corner of most cells (but not all) in that column only.   

I go to the Excel Preferences/Error Ckecking and remove the checkmark in the 'Turn on background error checking' and the error indicator disappears until I shutdown and reboot (I can file the document and open it again, without problems).

This is on an iMac (Retina 5k 2017), running the macOS Mohave Version 10.14 with Office 365 with Microsoft Excel for Mac Version 16.17.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-11-23T20:11:00+00:00

    I had hoped to work on the data this weekend but unfortunately, an accident yesterday, has me laid up for a few days.  Next week, I plan to recreate the workbook from scratch and see what happens.

    I'll post my findings then.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
    2018-11-23T19:29:20+00:00

    Hi Jacsdad

    The trouble with Alex's idea of taking this private is that it breaks the intent of the forum, which is to have users help each other.

    Here I'm trying to help but am being blocked by what Alex has said. Did you provide the workbook to Alex? He didn't say whether or not you did share. Alex did not he say whether or not he could reproduce the problem. Is the workbook one you can share (please don't share if it contains private or confidential information). On the other hand, if you can share it in a PUBLIC way such as on DropBox or OneDrive, then you can have other interested parties give it a shot and test it for you. Sharing with just Alex is OK if there is no way you can sanitize the workbook and share it so others can also test. Testing on other Macs will at least let you know if it behaves the same for everyone or whether this is a problem specific to your install of Office on just your Mac.

    There are many ways this could go. It could be a corrupt workbook. It could be a flaw in Excel. It could be a bad user profile. It could be a 3rd party app. It could be a problem in Mac OS.

    It sounds like Alex is screaming "UNCLE!" and is about to bail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-11-21T10:02:46+00:00

    Hi Jacsdad,

    Don’t worry, if it's an Office app related issue, we will continue help you in this thread.

    First, please check if issue persist in a new User Profile, so we can confirm whether the issue is caused by the Office products themselves or not. If issue doesn’t persist in this profile, then, your issue might be caused by other 3rd-party apps or a corrupted user profile. In this scenario, we would recommend you go to Apple Support for a dedicated help.

    Your understanding is highly appreciated,

    Regards,

    Alex Chen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-11-20T18:39:57+00:00

    Alex... I agree, this my not belong here.  Can you suggest where I should seek the help?  The page you reference will not allowmupdates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-11-20T08:18:47+00:00

    Hi Jascdad,

    Since this thread has been lasted for over a month. To help us understand your current situation better, I will try making a summary. Please help us point out the misunderstanding part.

    In my opinion, your current issue is about the error indicator show up continually. If you uncheck "Turn on background error checking", the error indicators will temporary disappear, but will come back after your reboot your Mac.

     

    If this is your situation, I would like to ask you to check if "Turn on background error checking" is enabled automatically every time you reboot your Mac. If so, then your issue should be "Excel Preferences won't save".

    Per my research, I found a user with similar issue: Problem: Excel Preferences settings keeps reverting to default.

    This user figure it out by creating a new user profile on his Mac. Please try this method and check if it helps in your scenario.

    Disclaimer: Microsoft provides no assurances and/or warranties, implied or otherwise, and is not responsible for the information you receive from the third-party linked sites or any support related to technology.​​

    If you have checked that "Turn on background error checking" remain uncheck after reboot your Mac, but the error indicator keep showing up, then, like I mentioned in my former reply, it's might be a file related issue, if it's convenient for you, we would like a copy of this Workbook via Private Message, so we can further investigate on this issue.

    Regards,

    Alex Chen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments