Error checking in Excel

Anonymous
2018-10-01T12:44:25+00:00

I have been using the same excel spreadsheet for over a year, without any problems.  For the past coupe of days, a column I have formatted as Number/Special/Zip Code, places an error (triangle in the upper left corner of most cells (but not all) in that column only.   

I go to the Excel Preferences/Error Ckecking and remove the checkmark in the 'Turn on background error checking' and the error indicator disappears until I shutdown and reboot (I can file the document and open it again, without problems).

This is on an iMac (Retina 5k 2017), running the macOS Mohave Version 10.14 with Office 365 with Microsoft Excel for Mac Version 16.17.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-12-06T15:50:25+00:00

    Hi Jacsdad,

    Thanks for clarifying your situation, so currently you have the following 2 issues.

    1.For some reasons, the error indicator will suddenly show up on some of your cells which are formatted as Zip Code. 

       To proceed on this issue, we would need a copy of your sample workbook, in order to protect your personal information, we don’t recommend sharing your OneDrive link in the thread, please send this sample workbook to us via Private Message.

    2.When you uncheck Turn on background error checking in Excel's preference setting, it would be automatically rechecked after restarting your Mac.

       As Jim also mentioned in his reply, this issue could be caused by the corrupted user profile, please refer to Create a new user profile to create a new user on your Mac, check if the changes applied to Excel preference settings could stick under this new user profile. Let us know the result.

    Disclaimer: Microsoft provides no assurances and/or warranties, implied or otherwise, and is not responsible for the information you receive from the third-party linked sites or any support related to technology.​​

    Since this case has been last for a long time, please provide us with your current MacOS version and your Office version.

    Meanwhile, your image failed to upload, please upload it again by clicking the insert image button.

    Thanks for your cooperation.

    Regards,

    Alex Chen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-12-05T22:50:15+00:00

    After a few days working without the error, it began again on 121.2019.  Due to some of the sensitive information in the original workbook, I created a new one from scratch with only the zip codes 0n 12/01.  

    Each day, I would check both the original and the new and eco had the error indicated.  I then changed the Preference (unchecking the Turn on error checking).  Within each, after shutting down and restarting, the Error Checking would be rechecked automatically.

    Attached is the sample workbook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-11-30T06:13:07+00:00

    Hi jacsdad,

    Thanks for your feedback, we will keep monitoring on this case.

    Regards,

    Alex Chen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-11-29T15:17:11+00:00

    Since I responded on 11/23, the situation has not reoccurred. I have had no software updates or changes to my system.

    I'll let you know if it happens again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
    2018-11-25T14:52:44+00:00

    Ouch!

    Sorry to hear about the accident. As someone who seems prone to them (broken pelvis, tibia, fibula, etc) I understand.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments