Preview or open a docx file

Anonymous
2018-05-07T21:25:23+00:00

I am trying to open or preview a docx file in outlook or word. I have upgraded to office 365 thinking it would fix my issue with trying to preview/view docx files, but it has not. I can not preview it in outlook (says no previewer installed) and if I click to open it in Word I get an error saying "Word experienced an error trying to open the file", but if I do the dance to open it in Google Docs it opens without a problem. The files are not corrupt, it happens with ALL of the docx files I receive, and they are from a trusted source. I have tried to repair office with the online repair option with no change.

Please help me fix this issue so I don't have to use google to view my docx files. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and any suggestions provided.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-08T14:40:41+00:00

    Which one of this versions and channel you have

    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Versio...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-08T20:12:41+00:00

    1804 (Build 9226.2114 Click-to-Run), with updates turned off

    I thought I rolled this back tho!!

    I will ask someone to send me an excel file to see what happens

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-08T20:18:07+00:00

    I must not have done something correctly to roll it back, can you send me a laymen's version of how to do that correctly. Thank you so much I am trying but a lot of this is new to me (I am trying to keep up)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-08T20:35:24+00:00

    Since you told me you reinstall that might revert the roll back, i cant find any other link that could be easier to read. but you might have done it correctly.

    Try to see if you can use this one

    Version 1803 (Build 9126.2116)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-08T20:53:52+00:00

    Make sure this is checked.... on File Options then follow the numbers

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments