Preview or open a docx file

Anonymous
2018-05-07T21:25:23+00:00

I am trying to open or preview a docx file in outlook or word. I have upgraded to office 365 thinking it would fix my issue with trying to preview/view docx files, but it has not. I can not preview it in outlook (says no previewer installed) and if I click to open it in Word I get an error saying "Word experienced an error trying to open the file", but if I do the dance to open it in Google Docs it opens without a problem. The files are not corrupt, it happens with ALL of the docx files I receive, and they are from a trusted source. I have tried to repair office with the online repair option with no change.

Please help me fix this issue so I don't have to use google to view my docx files. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and any suggestions provided.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-10T20:45:49+00:00

    What do you think about completely removing office 365 and then reinstalling it? can I do that without costing me more $$? Would this even make a difference to do this?

    If so is there any secrets to making sure it is completely removed before it is reinstalled?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-09T19:28:33+00:00

    I was able to send myself the same excel file I could view on my computer from my files, and outlook says no previewer installed, so I tried to open it and it says the file is corrupt. Then I decided to open it again from my files and it opens fine (I am floored!)

    I also was able to get someone to send me an excel file and it says no previewer installed and corrupt file if I try to open it. I confirmed it is not corrupt on there end

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-09T18:55:58+00:00

    Ok I followed everything I could, some of the directions were not an option on my screen. The numbers for the PowerPoint previewer matched what the instructions wanted.

    The "Run sfc /scannow" portion, a box showed up for a split second, then went away (looked like a black window, but to brief to tell), so I don't know if this did what it should have

    What do I do after I save the file at the end?

    How does this (Powerpoint) affect docx files?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-09T17:27:55+00:00

    ok i think i got some deep info for you please follow this steps and let me know, it have to work out ....

    Verify the Windows Firewall service is not disabled (

    1. Press the Windows key + R (to open the Run dialog box).
    
    2. Type services.msc, and then click OK.
    
    3. In the Services window, right-click Windows Firewall, and then click Properties.
    
    4. Make sure that the Startup type is set to Automatic, and then click OK.
    
    5. Right-click Windows Firewall, and then click Start.
    
    
    
    [https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/291272...](https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2912722/can-t-preview-office-documents-in-outlook-if-windows-firewall-service))
    

    Restore the Default Programs default configuration

    1. Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Default programs and select the top most search result.
    
    2. Click on Set your Default programs and select the programs listed in the left side panel of the window to set defaults.
    
    3. Follow the on-screen instructions.
    
    4. Close the window after setting the programs and check if the changes are effective.
    

     

    Verify the integrity of the Windows installation

     

    Run sfc /scannow and check if the changes are effective.

     

    Verify the registry settings for the Office Previewers

    NOTE: This steps are for the PowerPoint previewer.

    {00020827-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} - Microsoft Excel previewer

    {21E17C2F-AD3A-4b89-841F-09CFE02D16B7} - Microsoft Visio previewer

    {84F66100-FF7C-4fb4-B0C0-02CD7FB668FE} - Microsoft Word previewer

     

    1. In Regedt32, locate and then select the following registry key:
    

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PreviewHandlers

    2. Locate the value that has the following name, and then view its Type:
    

    {65235197-874B-4A07-BDC5-E65EA825B718}

    Note Depending on whether this value exists and what its Type is, take one of the following actions:

    				· If the Type is anything other than REG\_SZ, go to step 3.
    
    				· If the Type is REG\_SZ, go to step 6.
    
    				· If this value does not exist, go to step 4.
    
    3. Right-click the {65235197-874B-4A07-BDC5-E65EA825B718} value, select Delete, and then click Yes to confirm the deletion.
    
    4. On the Edit menu, select New, and then click String Value.
    
    5. Type the following text, and then press Enter.
    

    {65235197-874B-4A07-BDC5-E65EA825B718}

    6. Right-click {65235197-874B-4A07-BDC5-E65EA825B718}, and then click Modify.
    
    7. In the Value data box, type the following text, and then click OK.
    

    Microsoft PowerPoint previewer

    8. On the File menu, click Exit to exit Registry Editor.
    
    9. Check if the changes are effective.
    

    Collect the PowerPoint previewer settings

    1. In Regedt32, locate and then select the following registry key:
    

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID{65235197-874B-4A07-BDC5-E65EA825B718}

    2. Right Click on the key and select Export
    
    3. Follow the on-screen instructions to save the file.
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-09T17:18:21+00:00

    oops thought I posted already, must have forgot to submit.

    I completed the roll back, I am still in office 32bit. Now I am in build 1803 9126.2116 Click-to-Run

    docx still does not preview or view (word or Outlook). I did open a regular doc file just to see if it works and it does. I have not received an excel file yet but I did test a excel file (xlsx) that I had on my computer already, and that opens. I did try to also restart my computer with no change

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments