Preview or open a docx file

Anonymous
2018-05-07T21:25:23+00:00

I am trying to open or preview a docx file in outlook or word. I have upgraded to office 365 thinking it would fix my issue with trying to preview/view docx files, but it has not. I can not preview it in outlook (says no previewer installed) and if I click to open it in Word I get an error saying "Word experienced an error trying to open the file", but if I do the dance to open it in Google Docs it opens without a problem. The files are not corrupt, it happens with ALL of the docx files I receive, and they are from a trusted source. I have tried to repair office with the online repair option with no change.

Please help me fix this issue so I don't have to use google to view my docx files. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and any suggestions provided.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-13T17:09:17+00:00

    I did turn off the preview pane in file explorer, and it does stop me from seeing it in there but has no effect on preview in outlook or seeing docx files in Word. I still cannot see them there

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-05-12T17:02:21+00:00

    Try hiding the preview pane in File Explorer. At least in the past, that has proven to be a workaround for this long-standing issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-12T14:58:55+00:00

    I uninstalled and reinstalled office, and the docx problem is still the same

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-10T21:29:56+00:00

    Hello, it is a pleasure for me to assist you with your request.

    I would recommend you to uninstall using the next link:

    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/uninst...

    to install the product using this link.

    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/downlo...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-10T21:29:34+00:00

    no at all

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments