Preview or open a docx file

Anonymous
2018-05-07T21:25:23+00:00

I am trying to open or preview a docx file in outlook or word. I have upgraded to office 365 thinking it would fix my issue with trying to preview/view docx files, but it has not. I can not preview it in outlook (says no previewer installed) and if I click to open it in Word I get an error saying "Word experienced an error trying to open the file", but if I do the dance to open it in Google Docs it opens without a problem. The files are not corrupt, it happens with ALL of the docx files I receive, and they are from a trusted source. I have tried to repair office with the online repair option with no change.

Please help me fix this issue so I don't have to use google to view my docx files. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and any suggestions provided.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-05-14T07:48:02+00:00

    I'm running the exact same release (as part of Office Professional Professional Plus 2016, though), so that doesn't give any useful ideas.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-14T00:27:28+00:00

    I am now running 1804 Build 9226.2126 Click-to-Run. When I did the roll back I was walked thru to roll back to 1803 9126.2116, but since the roll back I tried a FULL un-install then re-install to the current 1804 version (with the un/reinstall I was provided a program (to make sure it was fully removed) listed earlier in my Thread, 5 page thread and still trying to fix this issue :-( )

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-05-13T23:37:39+00:00

    Which specific release of Word/Office are you running? Look at File | Options | Account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-13T22:48:17+00:00

    I am using office 365, downloaded to my desktop, so I run it through the apps (have not tried to view through web browser). The problem started with my office 2013, then upgraded to 365 a few weeks ago, same problem in 365. I have tried to roll it back to older updates, completely removing office and reinstall, have been walked thru checking my registry, standing on my head, nothing has worked yet!

    Works fine on my laptop, and can view on my android phone thru word app, just not the desktop (my main work spot)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-05-13T22:34:53+00:00

    Which version of Word are you running?

    Here, I can preview Word documents from within Outlook 2016 (version 1804) without problems.

    Sometimes, though, previewing in the online version of Outlook fails, depending on which browser I am using.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments