Labeling unique pages with unique identifiers (name/ID number)

Anonymous
2018-11-16T23:56:38+00:00

I have one document with 144 pages.  Each page is unique and numbered (1, 2, 3, etc), and I want to label each of those pages with a set of First Name, Last Name, and ID number which correlate to the numbers on the page.  For example, the top of the document will say "Case #1" which correlates to John Smith, ID#22201, then second page will have "Case #2" which correlates to Jane Austen, ID#22202, etc.  The document is not the same, meaning everything else on the page is different text, so I just want to "label" each page with the unique identifiers.  Possible in the footer of the page as the text is crowding.  Not sure if I need to splice each document out individually?  This is something that I need to do every few months with different identifiers (different names that correlate to the same case #s, so I realize I can do this manually - copy and paste the information on each page, but looking for a long term solution.  I tried mail merge, but I am limited in my understanding, and I believe it has to be the same document that can "import" the identifiers onto the same text.  Thoughts?

[The thread has been moved to the correct category by forum moderator]

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-11-21T16:29:21+00:00

    Thank you Doug and Charles!

    =======================================

    Doug to answer your questions in your email:

    How is the real 144 page document created?

    -----The actual document is a series of copied and pasted one page cases that are put together into one fluid 144 page document.  Some contain breaks into columns containing data, percentages, and numbers, while others are just fluid text.  

     Will it have Continuous Section Breaks as appear in the first pages of the document that you sent?

    -----See response to previous question.  Some have breaks into columns, but each page is unique and should be treated as one entity.

    Charles to answer your questions in your email:

      1. Are the numbers sequential, starting with 1? YES
    1. Does any record extend to more than a single page? NO
    2. Does any page contain more than one record? NO
    3. Where does the 2220 part come from? It is the beginning of the Student ID numbers.  So the student ID is not just "1" but "22201" which matches Case #1
    4. Is the number on page 144 22344? The numbers on the pages are sequential from 1-144, but they would align with the student ID numbers 1-"144" which would translate to 22201-22344

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2018-11-21T16:32:07+00:00

    Doug,

    Unfortunately I am not able to send out the actual document as it contains sensitive protected information, which is why I sent you a mock up of how it appears.  I appreciate your help and insight.

    Jocelyn

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-11-21T18:43:26+00:00

    Thank you Doug and Charles!

    ***

    Charles to answer your questions in your email:

      1. Are the numbers sequential, starting with 1? YES
    1. Does any record extend to more than a single page? NO
    2. Does any page contain more than one record? NO
    3. Where does the 2220 part come from? It is the beginning of the Student ID numbers.  So the student ID is not just "1" but "22201" which matches Case #1
    4. Is the number on page 144 22344? The numbers on the pages are sequential from 1-144, but they would align with the student ID numbers 1-"144" which would translate to 22201-22344

    Take a look at the field indicated, then.

    { = 22200 + { PAGE } }

    That would give you 22202 for the second record and 22344 for the 144th.

    1. To create this field, type the following:  = 22200 + Page
    2. Select "Page" and press Ctrl+F9 to create a field.
    3. Then select "= 22200 + { Page }" and press Ctrl + F9 to make the calculation field.
    4. Then press F9 to update the field.
    5. This field can me saved as AutoText if you want.
    6. It can be placed in each page, in headers or footers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-11-21T19:11:28+00:00

    Charles,

    Thank you for sending this.  I am trying to get the formula in the header, but it is not working.  So currently the header already contains a page number - not sure if that is disrupting it?

    So the header reads:

    ==================================================================

    BS 2022 Triple Jump - Case #1                                                                        Last Name, First Name ID#

    Dec 2018

    ==================================================================

    Where it says Case #1 those are page numbers so they order sequentially.  The ultimate goal is for the right side of the header to have the appropriate information - last name, first name and ID number.  So I tried your directions:  Typing the text "= 222000

    • Page" then clicking CTRL-F9 with Page highlighted which added brackets around it so it appears at "= 222000 + (Page)" or "= 222000 + (1)" but then that is all it shows.  It also doesnt update the following 143 pages of the document.  The header after the first page appears as:

    ==================================================================

    BS 2022 Triple Jump - Case #1                                                                        Last Name, First Name 

    Dec 2018

    ==================================================================

    Once I figure out how to list the ID#s, how do I match the names on an excel spreadsheet which also lists the id numbers onto the word document - or is that not possible?  Ultimately I want to avoid manually updating 144 pages with 144 names and ID#s every few months which is what is currently happening.

    Thank you again!

    Jocelyn

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments