Labeling unique pages with unique identifiers (name/ID number)

Anonymous
2018-11-16T23:56:38+00:00

I have one document with 144 pages.  Each page is unique and numbered (1, 2, 3, etc), and I want to label each of those pages with a set of First Name, Last Name, and ID number which correlate to the numbers on the page.  For example, the top of the document will say "Case #1" which correlates to John Smith, ID#22201, then second page will have "Case #2" which correlates to Jane Austen, ID#22202, etc.  The document is not the same, meaning everything else on the page is different text, so I just want to "label" each page with the unique identifiers.  Possible in the footer of the page as the text is crowding.  Not sure if I need to splice each document out individually?  This is something that I need to do every few months with different identifiers (different names that correlate to the same case #s, so I realize I can do this manually - copy and paste the information on each page, but looking for a long term solution.  I tried mail merge, but I am limited in my understanding, and I believe it has to be the same document that can "import" the identifiers onto the same text.  Thoughts?

[The thread has been moved to the correct category by forum moderator]

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-11-20T23:11:22+00:00

    When you say the Case #s are listed on the top of each of the pages, are they in the body of the document, or are they in the header, in which case, I assume that they are actually page number fields?

    If they are in the body of the document, are they in the first paragraph on each page?

    Are the pages separated by hard page breaks, or do the page breaks occur because the first paragraph on each page is formatted to have a page break before it?

    Was the 144 page document created by using mail merge?

    If would easier to help you if you can send me a copy of the document and of the Excel workbook, referencing this thread in the covering email message.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-11-21T00:53:37+00:00

    Doug,

    When you say the Case #s are listed on the top of each of the pages, are they in the body of the document, or are they in the header, in which case, I assume that they are actually page number fields?

    -----My apologies for not making this clearer sooner as I thought it was in the body, but YES, it is in the header with page numbers numbering.  So the header reads:  BS 2022 Triple Jump - Case #1

    -------The year of 2022 will be updated each continuous year, and the numbering next to "Case #-" uses page numbering to auto format

    If they are in the body of the document, are they in the first paragraph on each page?

    ----The information within the body does not need to be updated or changed, but is different on every page of the 144 page document

    Are the pages separated by hard page breaks, or do the page breaks occur because the first paragraph on each page is formatted to have a page break before it?

    -----There are not designated page breaks or section breaking in the document.  The amount of text simply fits on each page, so it is a continuous document.

    Was the 144 page document created by using mail merge?

    -----No, it was a mish mash of several documents being copied and pasted into this one large document

    If would easier to help you if you can send me a copy of the document and of the Excel workbook, referencing this thread in the covering email message.

    ------It contains sensitive information, but I am able to send you a replicated copy of it minus the sensitive information.  Please give me a few moments and I will send it over.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-11-21T02:36:16+00:00

    You have had help from some of the top folks on this forum. I am going to expose my ignorance.

    1. Are the numbers sequential, starting with 1?
    2. Does any record extend to more than a single page?
    3. Does any page contain more than one record?
    4. Where does the 2220 part come from?
    5. Is the number on page 144 22344?

    If each record is on a single page (not more than one page) and if the numbering is sequential, I'm not sure why you can't just use the ordinary { PAGE } field for part of it.

    { = 22200 + { PAGE } }

    That would give you 22202 for the second record and 22344 for the 144th.

    If you need to cross-reference outside of the page, you could have your completed number in a Heading style and cross-reference to it.

    If the answer to any of the first three questions is No, then this would not work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-11-21T03:56:32+00:00

    Hi Charles, 

    Based on the document and Excel workbook that was sent to me, it is certainly possible to create the ID numbers by adding 22000 to the page number.

    However based on the document that was sent, the names were also to appear in the header, which would require:

    1. that each page was in a separate Section, or
    2. that the name could appear somewhere on the page and be formatted with a style that would allow the it to be shown in the header by means of a StyleRef field.

    The document however had multiple, unnecessary continuous section breaks "sprinkled" throughout the text and as it was apparently a mock-up of the real thing, several hours ago, immediately after receiving the document and the workbook, I asked for information about the "real" document and also, how it is being created, as it is quite likely that mailmerge could be used.

    So far, no further information has been provided.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-11-21T14:14:13+00:00

    The same calculation field could be used in the header.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments