Labeling unique pages with unique identifiers (name/ID number)

Anonymous
2018-11-16T23:56:38+00:00

I have one document with 144 pages.  Each page is unique and numbered (1, 2, 3, etc), and I want to label each of those pages with a set of First Name, Last Name, and ID number which correlate to the numbers on the page.  For example, the top of the document will say "Case #1" which correlates to John Smith, ID#22201, then second page will have "Case #2" which correlates to Jane Austen, ID#22202, etc.  The document is not the same, meaning everything else on the page is different text, so I just want to "label" each page with the unique identifiers.  Possible in the footer of the page as the text is crowding.  Not sure if I need to splice each document out individually?  This is something that I need to do every few months with different identifiers (different names that correlate to the same case #s, so I realize I can do this manually - copy and paste the information on each page, but looking for a long term solution.  I tried mail merge, but I am limited in my understanding, and I believe it has to be the same document that can "import" the identifiers onto the same text.  Thoughts?

[The thread has been moved to the correct category by forum moderator]

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-11-17T00:20:15+00:00

    If the identifier is present somewhere on the page, you could use a StyleRef field to include it in the footer. See http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com/StyleRef.htm

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-11-17T00:39:34+00:00

    Suzanne, 

    Thank you! 

    Does this allow me to cross identify across different pages and different identifiers?  So each of the 144 pages are different tests, but the top of each page says "Case #1", "Case #2", etc, so if I use the StyleRef, will it take the identifiers off an excel sheet/table and input them onto the word pages footer?  My understanding of the link on StyleRef is that it is for character styling like underline and highlight, but the formatting of the same information isnt the goal - I need to match the identifier on the page to separate identifiers on an excel sheet which puts them in the word document.  Not sure if that's possible?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-11-17T01:23:33+00:00

    We need a bit more information to give you the best answer.

    Is each page in the document in a separate Section (i.e. separated from the next by a Section Break)?

    Do you want to end up with each page being a separate document?

    Do you have the names and Case # in an Excel workbook (the Case # is not so important and long as the names are in the order required for the Case # to be applied in the correct sequence)?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-11-17T16:42:44+00:00

    A StyleRef field actually doesn't reflect formatting at all. It merely repeats information formatted with the referenced style. So, for example, if you have a section that begins with a heading in the Heading 1 style, that text can be repeated in the header throughout the section; when another Heading 1 is added, the text in the header on that and subsequent pages reflects that new heading. This allows you to have, for example, a chapter title in the header throughout a book without editing each section header. But it doesn't sound as if this would meet your requirements.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-11-19T16:57:10+00:00

    Doug,

    Thank you for your thoughtful reply.  The document at this time is one fluid 144 pages, but I can add section breaks if necessary.

    The excel list can be sorted to match the ordering - row 2 could have ID#22201, then row 3 ID#22202, etc so that it matches page 1 of the word document showing Case#1, page 2 showing Case#2, etc.

    The output is 144 printed documents with the correct information.  I may also need a singular document with all 144 pages, but if they get spliced out, I can always use Adobe and repackage them back together.

    Jocelyn

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments