Labeling unique pages with unique identifiers (name/ID number)

Anonymous
2018-11-16T23:56:38+00:00

I have one document with 144 pages.  Each page is unique and numbered (1, 2, 3, etc), and I want to label each of those pages with a set of First Name, Last Name, and ID number which correlate to the numbers on the page.  For example, the top of the document will say "Case #1" which correlates to John Smith, ID#22201, then second page will have "Case #2" which correlates to Jane Austen, ID#22202, etc.  The document is not the same, meaning everything else on the page is different text, so I just want to "label" each page with the unique identifiers.  Possible in the footer of the page as the text is crowding.  Not sure if I need to splice each document out individually?  This is something that I need to do every few months with different identifiers (different names that correlate to the same case #s, so I realize I can do this manually - copy and paste the information on each page, but looking for a long term solution.  I tried mail merge, but I am limited in my understanding, and I believe it has to be the same document that can "import" the identifiers onto the same text.  Thoughts?

[The thread has been moved to the correct category by forum moderator]

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-11-20T16:22:56+00:00

    Thank you Neo!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-11-20T12:51:11+00:00

    What we need is not time, but more information:

    Is each page in the document in a separate Section (i.e. separated from the next by a Section Break)?

    Is the requirement to end up with each page being a separate document?

    Are the names and Case # in an Excel workbook (the Case # is not so important and long as the names are in the order required for the Case # to be applied in the correct sequence)?  If not there, where are they?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-11-20T08:59:47+00:00

    Hi Jocelyn,

    We need some more time to test your goal. I will update this thread once I got any updates. I appreciate your understanding.

    Thanks,

    Neo

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-11-19T16:57:42+00:00

    Suzanne,

    Ah, ok then.  Unfortunately this does not address what I am aiming to accomplish.  Thank you though for your suggestion!

    Jocelyn

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-11-19T16:57:10+00:00

    Doug,

    Thank you for your thoughtful reply.  The document at this time is one fluid 144 pages, but I can add section breaks if necessary.

    The excel list can be sorted to match the ordering - row 2 could have ID#22201, then row 3 ID#22202, etc so that it matches page 1 of the word document showing Case#1, page 2 showing Case#2, etc.

    The output is 144 printed documents with the correct information.  I may also need a singular document with all 144 pages, but if they get spliced out, I can always use Adobe and repackage them back together.

    Jocelyn

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments